• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I used to start on the ground all the time in practice. I'm not sure about competitions as I never competed in judo.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• 2 weeks later...
In matches sometimes I stand up to begin with then sit down and wait for them. But no usually you fight standing up.

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

Sometimes we start standing. Sometimes we go to the ground after a throw. Sometimes we start from the ground. My school mixes TKD and Judo, so it could come from grabbing a kick (take-down) or simply doing a hip throw from a punch attack. It all depends on the attack. The "wrestling" is each person trying to counter what the other is doing, basically, till one sumits (taps out).

Laurie F

In comps they always start standing or atleast that is all I have ever seen. I myself would take BJJ and then take judo as a complenment to takedowns.

1st degree blackbelt BJJ

under instructor Renzo Gracie

2x Detroit Golden Gloves Boxing Champ

well, there is matwork practice where you start sitting down back to back and they say hagi may and you wrestle.

Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought