• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MuayThai isn't compatible with any other stand up style however it is very compatible with grappling,that's when you know you have a really good martial arts school.Of course having a good instructor is important too.

MuayThai isn't compatible with any other stand up style

I disagree, alot of people combine it with boxing, Kail,escrima, Krav Maga, etc. all have something to offer it aswell/

Unbelievable! They are NOT highly incompatible. I dont know where you guys train, but I learned full contact the whole time. People think that only MT guys kick the legs or use elbows. Fact is, there are no techniques relegated to only one style. You just have to know the right tool for the job. It is a better idea to parry or catch a punch in the ring, but those have limits as well. I have trained bare-knuckle every day of my life for 25 years, and I know the value of both. For example, bobbing and weaving is great in boxing. Not so good in MT or bare-knuckle matches where you clinch and knee. I would parry and punch if I can, but you have to know when to block. I have blocked a tire iron before. Would you guys have tried to parry it?

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

kenpo4life is right. In my style we are allowed to kick to the legs. As long as it's not the knee since we pretty much go full contact with higher ranks. Also at 3rd Kyu all the new techniques are elbow strikes. I would try the MT out. I've done it once so far, and I'm going to keep giving it a chance. My dojo teaches it once a week. If you've already trained a long time there probably won't be immediate benefits. Everyone talks about the power of Muay Thai, but a Jab is a Jab and a punch is a punch no matter what MA you're taking and if you train hard you're going to have hard kicks and punches from karate too. There will only be slight differences. Like the stance seems to be higher.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Unbelievable! They are NOT highly incompatible. I dont know where you guys train, but I learned full contact the whole time. People think that only MT guys kick the legs or use elbows. Fact is, there are no techniques relegated to only one style. You just have to know the right tool for the job. It is a better idea to parry or catch a punch in the ring, but those have limits as well. I have trained bare-knuckle every day of my life for 25 years, and I know the value of both. For example, bobbing and weaving is great in boxing. Not so good in MT or bare-knuckle matches where you clinch and knee. I would parry and punch if I can, but you have to know when to block. I have blocked a tire iron before. Would you guys have tried to parry it?

People think that only MT guys kick the legs or use elbows. Fact is, there are no techniques relegated to only one style.

That is not true everyone realizes that, what people don't realize is kicking to thigh with shins and use of elbows in martial arts originally came from MuayThai.Other styles that use it,just stole it and incorporated it into their own style.

bobbing and weaving is great in boxing. Not so good in MT or bare-knuckle matches where you clinch and knee. I would parry and punch if I can, but you have to know when to block. I have blocked a tire iron before. Would you guys have tried to parry it?

It's true we do clinching and kneeing but that isn't the only thing we do in MuayThai.

To say bobbing and weaving is good in boxing yet not in muay thai makes absolutely no sense.

MuayThai involves boxing,it is just that we also have our own special kicks(the shin kicks and knees),clinching,and have also added elbows,which makes our style unique and more realistic.

Bud this shows you have no freaking clue about MuayThai,because we use alot of parrying,weaving and bobbing for the boxing part of MuayThai.

The next time you write something think about what you are saying instead of making a fool out of yourself.

To answer your question,yes we probably would try to parry it.

That is not true everyone realizes that, what people don't realize is kicking to thigh with shins and use of elbows in martial arts originally came from MuayThai

you think no one else in the world ever thought to hit someone with their elbow? sure most stlye have seen the succes MT has and has started to use some techniques...but saying they "stole" it is a little far fetched..you cant put a claim on a technique like an elbow.

To say bobbing and weaving is good in boxing yet not in muay thai makes absolutely no sense.

Bobbing and weaving IS alot more dangerous in Muay Thai, the risk of eating a knee to the head is alot more relevant. boxers dont have to worry about knees.

That is not true everyone realizes that, what people don't realize is kicking to thigh with shins and use of elbows in martial arts originally came from MuayThai

you think no one else in the world ever thought to hit someone with their elbow? sure most stlye have seen the succes MT has and has started to use some techniques...but saying they "stole" it is a little far fetched..you cant put a claim on a technique like an elbow.

Bobbing and weaving IS alot more dangerous in Muay Thai, the risk of eating a knee to the head is alot more relevant. boxers dont have to worry about knees.

Yes I do believe that no one else had thought of using elbows in martial arts before MuayThai fighters did,anyone who claims its not so doesn't know what they are talking about.

Explain to me how bobbing and weaving is more dangerous in Muay Thai then boxing.

Bobbing and weaving in muay thai or boxing is same.Obviously we're not going to bob and weave from a knee kick,it's impossible as far as I know.

You make it sound like the only thing we know how to use is our knees.When we're not using the knees we can bobb and weave from punches and other kicks just as easily as in boxing.

Only difference is boxing is simply punching and muaythai is boxing with kicks.

Are these compatable? I was looking for some JJ near by, but all I could find was a lonely MT gym looking for me to join. ;)

I can't get enough of MAs. All I need is more time. :P

Why do you want to study two styles?

The most common reason is to cover weak spots. I would suggest comitting yourself to one of these styles, whichever you prefer, and be a master of 1 rather than a jack of 2 or more.

Explain to me how bobbing and weaving is more dangerous in Muay Thai then boxing.

Bobbing and weaving in muay thai or boxing is same.Obviously we're not going to bob and weave from a knee kick,it's impossible as far as I know.

You bob, your opponent knees you in the face. This is not likely to happen in a boxing match.

Yes I do believe that no one else had thought of using elbows in martial arts before MuayThai fighters did,anyone who claims its not so doesn't know what they are talking about

Some people...................

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Are these compatable? I was looking for some JJ near by, but all I could find was a lonely MT gym looking for me to join. ;)

I can't get enough of MAs. All I need is more time. :P

Why do you want to study two styles?

The most common reason is to cover weak spots. I would suggest comitting yourself to one of these styles, whichever you prefer, and be a master of 1 rather than a jack of 2 or more.

You bob, your opponent knees you in the face. This is not likely to happen in a boxing match.

Yes I do believe that no one else had thought of using elbows in martial arts before MuayThai fighters did,anyone who claims its not so doesn't know what they are talking about

Some people...................

We have away of blocking knee kicks so we don't get a knee in face.

Besides for an opponent to apply a knee kick person has to be very close to you in first place.If you are going to use a knee kick why would your opponent need to bob or weave.If a person decides to punch you when in close you can then bob or weave and be prepared to block his/her knee while coming back up after the bob.Also when you bob,it's not like you go alll the way down on your knees,if that was the case it would be very stupid and awkard for boxer and a muaythai person.

When a person bobs or weaves,it's just enough to avoid getting punched,you are not crouching all the way down,that would be stupid and in that case then I would have to agree about being kneed in face.