• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'm a Black Belt in ITF Tae Kwon do an i'd really like to start a grappling art, i have considered judo because i love competition, i have wondered though can judo really be used for self defence? becasue its always 50/50

with the yes and know's that i get from people.

Would i be Better off with Jiu jitsu?

i know Jiu Jitsu incorporates allot more self defence techniques but does it have the same level as competition as Judo?

i like competition but i don't want to stray too far from self defence.

i'm struggling with which one to choose

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Do you have some specific clubs in mind? You might want to check with the instructors at the clubs regarding how often they attend competitions, and how much self defense is incorporated into the training. It really depends on the club's focus. My experience with judo and jj was that the jj started with self defense stuff from day one, but I didn't learn self defense in judo until I was almost done (orange belt).

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Judo is a fantastic sport, excellent exercise, and I have used it effectively in self defence.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

self defense in ju jutsu, not jiu jutsu, right? in JJJ (Japanese Ju Jutsu) you will learn alot of self defense but there won't be much, if any emphasis on competition.

BJJ (Brazilan Jiu Jutsu) is VERY competition oriented, however alot of it is self defense applicable, as is Judo.

My reccomendation would be to go check out both clubs and see what you like best.

Judo was originally created as a martial art. Jigoro Kano had no intention of creating a sport when he created Judo. If you look in a book like Kodokan Judo, there is a whole section dedicated to self defense. Judo today for the most part is part is only really practiced as a sport, but can easily be modified for self defense. If you could find a Judo school that also teaches traditional Jujutsu, then I have a feeling you will be very happy with the results.

If you could find a Judo school that also teaches traditional Jujutsu, then I have a feeling you will be very happy with the results.

I second that! That is where I’m training at now, it is great!

Mt old TKD school added Brazilian JJ to it's curriculum and it made for a nice well rounded arsenal. Judo would serve to give you throwing and falling skills too, but JJ may add more grappling and ground fighting techniques.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/