• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defences against Ushiro Mawashi Geri and Side Kicks

CheekyMusician

We were sparring today in class. We spar a lot, but I hardly ever get anyone throwing an ushiro mawashi geri or a side kick at me, but today everyone seemed to be throwing the ushiro or a side thrust kick and I realised I had no plausable defence to use.

I tried a gedan barai (like I would use to block a mae geri), but it didn't seem to have enough power behind it to block the kicks.

Any hints?

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Why don´t you try a soto uke stepping aside at the same time and strike with a Haito Jodan....that´ll do.

Just as it is the clear mirror that reflects without distortion, or the quiet valley that echoes a sound, so must one who would study Karate-do purge himself of selfish and evil thoughts, for only with a clear mind and conscience can he understand that which he receives

How about shifting your body to the side and apply what we call a universal block, one arm up, one arm down. You can then use the arm that is up to countergrab and the other to strike.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

For the reverse roundhouse, you should be able to anticipate it with a little practice, and attack their back as they are winding the kick up.

Side thrust is IMHO one of the harder kicks to defend against - it can damage you even if you block it because of its power. You need to practice boxing-style weaving and laybacks to move yourself out of the kick's way. Sway your upper body either backward out of reach of the kick, or sideways so the kick misses.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

The spinning thrust is a hard kick to block. Because it is thrown so close to you. I teach a trap but hopping back just out of range and catching the foot with you hands much like the techinqe at the end of Hangetsu kata.

If the kick is throw at a distance it should be eaisy to see comming and you can side step as everyone has already pointed out and counter somewhere.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

(if he's kicking with the right leg)

Step in, slightly on a 45 scooping the kicking leg (by the thigh) with your right arm. Pull the back collar of the gi lifting the trapped leg to the roof. I'm lucky enough to pull this off all the time.