• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting thing about my dojo.

BKJ1216

Most boxer/kickboxers and coaches will tell you to stick to one stance.

For 99% of people focusing on one will make you a better fighter then trying to do both.

If you are right handed this generally means left foot forward for striking arts.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The reason that many schools teach left foot forward is that a majority of the population is right handed and will also be in this stance. 8)

Only applies to styles which want to keep the weak side forward. Lots of styles prefer strong side forward.

I can see the reasons for both ideas.. learn both stances or only practice left side forward. :)

In my dojo we are told to change stance as needed in a fight and we practice quick stance change from left to right. I have to admit tho, I favour my weak side forward (left leg in front) as I feel more comfortable firing off my strong kicks from my right leg. Because of this when I spar I really have to make a conscious effort to practice BOTH sides!

I don't see anything wrong with training always left leg forward if that's what works for you, as long as you learn how to fire off kicks from the leading leg as well as the rear leg as well as hand attacks from both arms. You should also practice sparring with someone who is used to changing their stance, as it could catch you out in a fight.

motoko :wave:

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

The reason that many schools teach left foot forward is that a majority of the population is right handed and will also be in this stance. 8)

Only applies to styles which want to keep the weak side forward. Lots of styles prefer strong side forward.

True-there are many different styles and ways to spar and each school and teacher has a different way of doing things. Balancing both sides through practice will be to your advantage both in the ring and on the street. Razor says "Just do what your instructor says"....trust your instructor and your art, if you don't you may need to find a place where you are more comfortable.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Just do what your instructor says.

WHat side you use does not matter.

Does it???

correct way off think do wat ta sensei says.if u let me come of the story for a moment. a story i heard about the late sensei eneoda. once trainin in england he gave out to students about makin faces steppin forward and of coarse when he stepped forward he mad big faces. a student called him on it and sensei yelled at him and killed him 4 the whole train afterward he said ta him in a lean voice"must alway do what sensei says understand"

Impossible is not a fact, It's an opinion!

Shotokan-Nidan