• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting thing about my dojo.

BKJ1216

A friend mentioned to me a while back that my dojo only teaches sparrign left foot forward. He said this was really bad. I've noticed that we have been doing that a lot. Do you think maybe they're just waiting to teach at a big of a higher level? Or shoudl I start trying to practice myself right foot forward? Do not say leave the dojo, there is no other one.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Many styles have their strategic preferences (some prefer "weak side forward", some "strong side forward", all have their reasons why their tactics work better from that stance) but IMHO all styles should do some practice from the not-so-preferred stance also, just to make it more familiar.

The reason that many schools teach left foot forward is that a majority of the population is right handed and will also be in this stance. It also allows for powerful techniques with the right hand/foot. Eventually you will learn, through foot work drills, to spar the other way. I agree with Ghost, ignore him.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We always start people with their left foot in 5 and 3 step sparring. No reason except for it is eaiser to watch a group at once and make sure everyone is correct.

However on one step and free style its pretty much up to the person. I don't know anyone who would teach you to fight only one sidded. What if you are left handed?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We train with both sides equally. Which side you spar with is really up to you, but since we train both sides equally you fight with both sides equally.

Do not go silently into that good night.

Rage, Rage, Against the dying of the light.

- Dylan Thomas

We have always trained with both sides equally. And I do have to admit that most lower belts have trouble with that. The ability to switch sides really does not become comfortable for most until after they have trained for a while.

i also train left foot forward most of the time but in ur own time just do afew kicks and punches on ur right side so u'll be more well rounded.

Impossible is not a fact, It's an opinion!

Shotokan-Nidan

There really should not be a left or right side. I agree one should be training with both sides...working your weaker side even more.

Much like forms; you should be practicing them as well from both sides. (mirror image).

"no wait you can't hit me like that! ....I haven't worked this side!"