• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring

delta1

There have been a few questions here that relate to sparing. So I thought it might be fun to list some of the different types of sparing we/you do and the bennifits you get. Also list any limmitations or drawbacks. Feel free to restate or expand on a type already listed. And let's try not to disrespect what someone else does, though it's ok to question, or to point out unsafe or dangerous practices. Go for it...

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll start out:

Slow sparing- you spar at a slow speed. Agree to move at, say, half or 3/4 speed, and that is how you fight.

Bennifits- lets you really work on technique. You also clearly see openings, attacks and moves as they develope. These are locked in to memory so you better recognize them at full speed. You can also work on correcting bad habbits, like telegraphing or flagging strikes. It lets you take the dangerous shots you normally can't take in sparing, like kicks to the knees. Oh yeah, you can also spar a lot longer this way than at full speed :) !

Drawbacks- no matter how slow you start, you allways seem to end up going full speed. And you won't land many strikes. It's human nature to want to 'win', and the 'hitee' will usually speed up his block just fast enough to beat the 'hitor'. But it doesn't matter because one got the practice seeing the opening, the other should be able to figure it out that if the same tech keeps comeing at him, he's probably leaving an opening.

Freedom isn't free!

Critiqued Rounds- spar 2 one minute rounds with senior students and instructors as critiquers. Theobject is not to determine who won, but to watch the fighters and see what they are diong right, wrong, and what could be done better. After the first round the fight is critiqued. Then round two goes and both fighters concentrate on correcting or improving as was suggested.Bennifits are obvious. The fighters get to practice and correct their sparing while the critique is fresh in their mind. They then have a little time to think about it untill their next match, where they can continue improvement as well as get another critique. I don't see any drawbacks to this at all.

Freedom isn't free!

Aside from regular point and free sparring we occasionally do 2 on 1

1 person in the middle and 1 on either side. You start out fighting with 1 person then when the sensei calls switch the person from behind attacks

and you break off and fight that person. The final round you fight both people at once. It really helps with your positioning and awarness of what is around you. You learn real quick where not to be in relation to that second person :o .

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Aside from regular point and free sparring we occasionally do 2 on 1.

Good call. Multiple opponents are fun and, unfortunately, a realistic thing to train for.

Come on, guys. We can't be the only two here that like to try different methods of sparing. How about you Ninjas? You've got to have some good sparing methods- night sparing, sparing in unusual situations?

How about this one for developing footwork and awareness of your feet. Turn a bunch of cinder blocks (or wooden blocks) on end, spaced about a step apart. Some a little closer. Then spar on top of the blocks. If you want to get a little carried away you can bury a bunch of short posts. But the blocks are better, I think, because they also develope ballance better.

Freedom isn't free!

We have to do point sparring out or dojo. Not to say I don't like it. It's just that I think they should maybe do like 3 points to win a round instead of one. Plus we only fight with left foot forward, which I guess is bad. THat's pretty much it though, except when sparring girls because well I'm a believer of that your not suposed to hit women, so I always hit them weak and get my butt kicked.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate