• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trick/move question...

I dont do martial arts or anything at the moment but I was wondering what the name of the trick/move where you are on the ground and then jump up to your feet. (You start on back and then move your legs up while putting your hands beside your head(if you need too) then fling your legs and land on them)

Sorry if I dont know how to describe this move to you but its the ground to standing jump thing.

I just wondering the name of it if it has one and is it hard to learn so I can impress my friends.

thanks

(sorry first time poster, dont know where to post this one)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm with karatekid, I know it as a kip-up. Don't know any other names for it.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

The hardest part about learning a kip-up is trying to coordinate your body to do the whole thing. Once you figure that out, it'll take you a couple tries to get enough height and forward motion to keep from slamming back down.

Practice on cushy mats if at all possible. When you try it, realize that you might:

- stub some toes on your landing

- not get enough forward motion and smack your back/back of your head on the floor

- get too much forward motion and land on your face

Which is why the cushy mats are so important! ;)

Here is how I do my kip-up:

1. Start from laying position, on my back

2. Pull my knees into my chest (and butt off the floor)

3. Put my hands on the floor, close to my face (but don't push yet)

4. Kick out and up hard with my legs

5. Push off the floor hard with my hands (Steps 4 and 5 should be done one right after the other, but not at the same time...it's like a staggered movement. The timing takes practice)

Some people don't have to worry about Step 5, because they don't need their hands, period. For a lot of people when they're just learning a kip-up, using hands can actually make it more difficult. Try it both ways and see how it works.

I've always needed the use of my hands, but that could be because I'm female and the whole center-of-balance thing is different.

Also: I find it a little easier to start the kip-up from a sitting position, just for purposes of rhythm and momentum. However, doing it from a sitting position wouldn't be sticking with the purpose of the move, which is to go from laying down to standing up, with as little effort and time as possible.

Good luck! :up:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 1 month later...
Remember to try and throw your whole body up then forward.... and if you can't get up the first few times use your elbow to help you (its ok to cheat somethimes) then once you learn the movements its not that difficult.