• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So how many katas did you know in your first month?

BKJ1216

Interesting how a weapons kata is taught so early in the lower ranks. Most systems reserve the weapons katas for the intermediate to advanced rank. Hmm.......interesting 8)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well advanced ranks are a bit differant.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We were introduced to the first 3 kata in our first month - saying I'd learned them by then would be a bit of a stretch; we needed them in order to get our yellow belt, which you needed to train about 3 months for. That was when I was taking Japanese Goju so it was Taikyokyu Gedan, Chudan and Jodan that we learned.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I didn't mean learned them, a better way to put it is I've memorized what movement comes next.

Then again if I had meant that I was done with them and I knew them I would've said I had mastered them. Oh well who cares I just know the movements of them, and I guess I can execute the half of th shun pon ton fairly well.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I think...it was heian shodan and heian nidan...

Just as it is the clear mirror that reflects without distortion, or the quiet valley that echoes a sound, so must one who would study Karate-do purge himself of selfish and evil thoughts, for only with a clear mind and conscience can he understand that which he receives

Its funny, its been years and I still am not totally pleased with my first

Kata (Heian Shodan). :)

The more you train the more you look to improve yourself. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I understand what you mean. Some katas just never feel right no matter how much you practice them. The opening sequence of Pinan (okinawan, Heian for japanese) Shodan doesn't feel natural to me.

As for katas in the first month; We learned one kata. Tai kyoku 1. It is so basic it is rediculous, but we used it to teach proper stepping, and so that when we began learning a *real* kata we would have a little experience with it.