• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Class

Kev70

I got to go to my first class today. I found out that the style Karate is Goju Ryu. My first class went fairly well except for the flexibility part. Come to find out, weight lifting does nothing for flexibility (imagine it). This proves to be more painful than I had thought. Other than that, it was good to go and I enjoyed it. They also mix Jujitsu and some other form of self defense that they teach the Isreali Police??? I dont know the name, but other than that what do you guys think of Goju Ryu?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
As long as you stretch well before lifting it will not hurt you flexability. I lifed all in HS and could always do a split. So don't give weight training up just make sure you give the hamstrings a good stretch before working your legs.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

G95 is correct... while pure weight training does nothing for flexibility, it does not hurt it either. stretching, however, can work wonders.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Yeah LOL

It kills me when you see basketball players and others say lifting will hurt their shot and use that as an reason not to lift. How many weights did Jordan lift? A lot... It about doing the little things like warming up and stretching more so than throwing 300lbs on the Bench Press.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."