• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UFC Influence On Karate Strikes?

Motion

After watching and observing the results of the various UFC and other NHB fights,how have they influenced the way Karate shools teach? I know many will say that they've adding grappling to their training,but I'am curious to know the influence that the UFC has had on the way striking is being taught in Karate. Having seen the UFC, have you found that certain types of kicks,punches and other strikes are more effective than others?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good question.

Only because most of the karate strikes you would use in true SD that would drop a person include things like Tiger Strikes to the Throat, Elbows to the Face, Kicks to the Groin and while a man is down. The UFC has rules that stops such moves.

Add to that remember they are using gloves for the most part now.

There is no comparison between UFC and real fights.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

most of the karate strikes you would use in true SD that would drop a person include things like Tiger Strikes to the Throat, Elbows to the Face, Kicks to the Groin and while a man is down. The UFC has rules that stops such moves.

I remember hearing similar arguments during the early days of the UFC. That they didn't allow the strikers to use all the "deadly" strikes that would kill most grapplers. The problem many strikers had is that once the grapplers got into grappling range such as the clinch,this interfered with the strikers ability to strike effectively,because the close range reduced the power of their strikes.

Anyway,it would seem to me that many karate stylist would make some sort of adjustments in their training to deal with the close distance that will come with real fights,such as using elbow and knee strikes more. Also it would be a good idea to work on hit and move strikes to help maintain distance between you and your opponent/attacker.

most of us do

karate has ground work in it suck kata as the tekki's have it hidden.

a ture striker has no chance of winning a UFC event because of those rules. A good ex is this one. Lets say I punch you and you fall to one knee. Now my next move would be to kick you right in the head with a big power kick and KO you. However if you kick a downed opponet you are DQed.

As to where a grappler could go on and take me down and finish it quick.

Don't get me wrong I love the UFC just watched one the other night but they favor grapples. As they should because no one wants to see guys die this is American not Rome. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

To Say UFC has nothing to do with fighting is ridiculous because its saying that they cant fight.

Else if they can fight but not in the UFC ring that does not make sence as it is what they train for.

Besides I doubt most people would stand any chance if they did anything they wanted and the UFC guys stuck to UFC rules in a real fight.

If you think they can have a real fight then UFC is related to a real fight.

I wouldnt fancy my chances against Randy Couture.

Dont know about you???

No one says UFC fighters can't fight. But there is a direpensy in the rules that favours grapplers, however some strikers have over come this such as Maurice Smith.

I do use more knee strikes than previously, not because of UFC, but because of my own studies in Traditional Jiu-jitsu as well as karate. Strike like knee are idea to blend in head and arm locks and chokes. But I still use knife hands, and kicks. But I use low kicks to the knees, groin and ribs, and as finishes from arm locks.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

No way would I ever want to fight Tito, Frank, Tank, Kimo, Vetor, etc in real life. Im just saying that a true striker in the UFC is basically fighting with one arm tied behind his back.

Same reason you don't see BJJ in TKD point fights or Heavyweight Boxing matches.

No one says UFC fighters can't fight. But there is a direpensy in the rules that favours grapplers, however some strikers have over come this such as Maurice Smith.

The original "No rules, no time limits" favoured grapplers. The rules tend to favour strikers.

I'd say ground and pound and standup striking is most favoured by UFC rules and environment.

The rule is no kicks when a man is down, not no kicking a downed opponent. So you can't kick from guard either. Heel kicks to kidneys. kicking upward to the face.

But this rule is not in all events, Pride allows them, so does UCC from what I've seen.

Also most of these rules where not present in the first UFC's, nor the Vale Tudo matches in Brazil prior to the UFC. There where no gloves and no restrictions except biting and eye gouging. So would be able to best use these tactics where they allowed? The better fighter.

UFC is not a real fight, but it is as close as we can get for a sanctioned sport. The training methods and techniques of MMA are not only the best for the ring/cage, but for the street as well.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!