• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

who has gotton into a street fight?

Shotokan_Fighter

i was just wondering who has got in a fightand what happened and if u study karate did you use it?? i have never been in a fight but id like to beacuse i study shotokan karate and im a 3rd kyu brown belt and i wanna see if this stuff really works

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Why would you wanna get into a fight?!?! You win, you have to hurt someone, you lose, you get hurt. I go to school in a school where if a fight isnt broken up fast, someone goes to the hospital more often than not. I can fight, I do Karate as well, and have been in fights but would never wanna fight without a damn good reason.

i was just wondering who has got in a fightand what happened and if u study karate did you use it?? i have never been in a fight but id like to beacuse i study shotokan karate and im a 3rd kyu brown belt and i wanna see if this stuff really works

I've had a couple of fights...wish I didn't. I now have a police record. It's not worth it at all. The best thing to do (which is what me and my brothers now do) is invite people from other clubs and styles and brawl. Not like fight club but with respect and in the spirit of karate and higher development of waza. Karate the way most train is all in the space when you have to use it in real time can you?

Motobu was a great karateka. :P

OSU!

I've been in fights, and not usually by choice. The only way you can get me to fight now is if you were seriously threatening my family, myself or some defenseless person. At some point you realize that, in a real fight the chances are that someone going to the hospital, jail or both. I don't relish either option.

What do you consider a "street fight"? Your title said street fight but your question just says fight. If by street fight you mean a fight out of the dojo that wasn't a play fight, I'd have to say yes, but nothing major; the person stopped after one move.

If you mean have I been attacked while walking down the street in an attempted mugging, rape whatever - no.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

im just asking if anyone has goton into a fight dosent matter what kind of fight when you fight on the street its a street fight anthing can happen im just wondering what happened when you got into a fight and im not saying i want to fight or i go pick fights im saying that id like to just to see how it works and if it does work but id much rather not get into a fight

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Okay, now that you explained what you consider a street fight, then I get into some frequently - because of my job as a guard. When I get a call from someone in the staff that there's an aggressive customer that needs to be taken out of the building, it's my job to come and make it so. Often the customers aren't that co-operative and so a "fight" ensues. Or I'd prefer to call it a struggle. There are people on this forum who don't consider such incidents fights, unless they are dead serious situations, that is why I asked for the clarification. Nevertheless, they are situations where my MA training helps.

Shotokan_Karate0

There can be many levels to real violence as Kirves has implied.

Firstly there are situations that can be avoided, and most will at least initially fall under this. When you have nothing to prove this is quite easy- cross to the other side side of the street, avoid walking close to potential danger spots, be alert and use common sense basically. This is a quick and simplistic paragraph but the idea is clear. It is perhaps the highest level of martial arts.

Then there are situations that Kirves has mentioned- line of duty situations. These can range from annoying to downright dangerous, although unless you are in the emergency services they are generally on the lighter side. I have had a few violent situations at work when dealing with mental health clients but even though in some knives were out they were in actuality quite easy to deal with- a cool head and knowledge of the client group more important than martial arts here.

Next we have mutual combat. This is what some people generally term a street fight. Two people, by actions or verbals, 'agree' to a punch up. Mostly these situations arent too dangerous although the potential for injury is still there. As a younger person I got into too many of these, and yes karate works fine if trained properly. Whether it seems like it or not these situations USUALLY have rules although not expressed. Friends will pull the scrappers off- the violence only escalates to a degree etc etc.

Finally we have self preservation. This is where you are attacked, usually very close up by someone intent on doing you serious harm. This is the scary, fill your pants kind of stuff. Traditional shotokan, and other styles will not help you here when your life is at stake- unless you have 1)pressure tested (scary in itself if done well) and 2)have a deep understanding of bunkai and ability to do it. These are two of the main criteria. If you do these then yes your karate will stand you in good stead sometimes- remember that striking first and hard if possible(at the verbals stage) is good insurance. Contrary to what some like to believe in these situations the person who is most aggresive, hits first and keeps on hitting usually comes out on top. Having said this in these scenarios there arent any winners- you survive and get to go home with varying degrees of injury. Plus there are legal repercussions and the good guy doesnt always fare well here. Ive been here too and its not pretty or clever. Go to the avoidance paragraph and stay away from places where this may be more likely to happen.

Regards

Rich

Excellent post, Rich! That is exactly what I've been saying in not so many words around here before, but you put is so eloquently. People often ask "which art is best for a real life street situation" or "who has been in one" but as stated, there are so many different levels. You forgot things like domestic violence (if your dad's using your mama as a punching bag, it can be dangerous, but you probably won't want to hurt your dad too bad) and similar situations when you just want to control someone without hurting him (a drunk friend charges you out of a misunderstanding or jealousy incident).