• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Chivalry Really Dead?

very cool article..... especially liked the last quote about the armour.

that was a good bit and the entire thing as well, kinda inspiring

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome article.

I work at a front desk through school and anyone who works directly with people can see the continuous lack of manners and simple acknowledgement of someone elses existence. A guy was ready to fight me today because I wouldn't give them anything without an ID. It's sad that a lot of people (at least around me) would rather roll over than deal with any kind of conflict.

Thank you for the reminder.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

Awesome article.

I work at a front desk through school and anyone who works directly with people can see the continuous lack of manners and simple acknowledgement of someone elses existence. A guy was ready to fight me today because I wouldn't give them anything without an ID. It's sad that a lot of people (at least around me) would rather roll over than deal with any kind of conflict.

Thank you for the reminder.

wow there defitnaly are some very angry people out there lol

One time I had a teacher who was actually i think mentaly unstable and ended up throwing her desk at a kid who asked to go for a drink 2 in a row!

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

very cool article..... especially liked the last quote about the armour.

Thanks. It just sounded right. :karate:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I understand the need for a teacher to have a strong sense of respect, order, and care for his students and art, and I agree fully. But I don't think chivalry is the right word for that.

I personally think the word "chivalry" represents more of that old shining knight idea, an idealistic mindset that will land you dead in a real combat situation. (For instance, the "fair duel" concept...)

I think what most of us are really talking about here is just respect- for one's art, one's self, and others.

The Hidy Ochiai Foundation: http://www.hidyochiai.org/

If you skim back through the article, I think you'll see that I wasn't going for the "fair duel" version.

Chivalry: The qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery, courtesy, honor, and gallantry toward women.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

• 4 months later...

Great article, but one thing I do disagree with.

Understand that every change you make, passes on to someone else, and then inspires further change You have no idea who will be changed later on. When I call people ma'am or sir, after the usual "you make me feel old," I always tell them that it is a term of respect, and that they are worthy of respect. Knowing how to treat people will open a little doorway into their lives, and your actions pass into theirs. I think that one person can have a greater impact than they think.

Also, living a life of opening doors, giving up my seat, and other forms of respect given to God's gift to me that is my wife, has helped her go from thinking I'm a weirdo, to knowing that I'm a weirdo worth marrying. We now have a 9 week old daughter, and I have promised her to teach her how a young man should treat a young woman, and how to forcibly stop that young man from doing ungentlemanly things.

Congratulations on your daughter. Mine is already 16, and I get teary eyed when I think of her when she was little.

However, you have confused me. What exactly do you disagree with????

If it's the sir and maam shouldn't be used because it gives the wrong message.............. I even address people younger than I with those terms.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan