• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kosho Ryu Kenpo Kata

taichi4eva

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 year later...

I do not remember all the Japanese names for the kata, and I know I will spell some wrong, but I know the pinan series, juni ipo, nekobuto, nihanshi, and more are taught. Some were brought into the style by James Mitose, and some were brought in by the current Hanshi Bruice Jutnik.

Pinan Shodan through Godan

Neko Buto Shodan through Sandan

Naihanchi Shodan through Sandan

Passai Sho and Dai

Kusanku Sho and Dai

Empi

Gankaku

Empi

Ma Ai No Jo i

Jo #2 Nai Han No

Ennogyo Shodan through Sandan

Wansu

Danensho

Shudoso

Naihanchi could has been brought in the system through bobby lowe. you can ask from students of Bruce Juchnik. I heard this about Pinna series(kyokushin version through bobby lowe) from sesei bruce Juchnik but not sure about Naihanchi.

it's very hard to find out the truth about mitose background.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you are enjoying your kosho ryu studies. Juchnik sensei told me he learned the Naihanshi form from George Santana, and later studied the form with (Robert) Trias sensei.

With respect to Mitose sensei...

Many want to learn the truth about Mitose sensei's background. One can also get a transcript from the trial, but it does not explain the political climate at the time (it was right after the Manson trial), the incompetence and subsequent disbarrment of Mitose sensei's defense attorney, the prevarication of his accuser, the political agenda of the prosecutor and judge.

Many people, especially ones who weren't there, claim to know the truth and can't be bothered by the facts. Many place Mitose sensei on a pedestal and attribute to him all the attributes of the omnicient, perfect person and teacher.

The facts are these: Kosho ryu was passed through the Mitose family for eight hundred years. That is Mitose sensei's true background. Mitose sensei passed on that knowledge (more to some, less to others) to his students. James Mitose was a human being, and a far from a perfect one at that. His personality is not important. The details of his personal life are insignificant. The legacy of Kosho ryu is the most important truth.

To fall seven and rise eight, life begins now.

pavotori, well come to K.F.

Kosho ryu in his original form has any katas? where is the origin of Kosho ryu? if japan then why is it considered to be kempo? why not jutsu, I have 2-3 tapes of sensei Juchnik and love his technique.

Hello P.A.L.

The history of Kosho Ryu is a long and very interesting one. It began around the year 1235. A priest, whom Mitose Sensei called his first ancestor, was a martial arts master and a Buddhist priest studying at the Shaka-In Temple. The priest found it difficult to reconcile his religion, which taught him pacifism, and his martial arts that taught him destruction. He decided to meditate on the contradiction under an old pine tree on the temple grounds. After meditating there for a long time, he finally, "with the help of god", had an epiphany concerning the understanding of natural law resulting in a perfect method of defense and escape. Kosho means "old pine tree"

The following site can explain the ancient and modern history of Kosho Ryu --> http://www.collectivesociety.com/skski/ancient.html

As you can see, Kosho Ryu is very Japanese. The word "ken po" means "fist law" in Japanese. I will investigate your question about the jutsu.

In November 2004, I went to Shaka-in in Izumi-Mura, outside of Kumamoto City in Kyushu province, and attempted to climb the 3333 steps to the temple located at the top. I took pictures and movies of my climb. It was quite an experience -- physical and mental, but I'm glad I did it.

With respect to some of the katas we study:

Neko Buto Kata - came into the Kai through Robert Trias (a close friend and teacher of Juchnik Sensei) who learned these forms from Professor James Mitose. These forms were developed by Mitose Sensei not just to establish a wide base stance, but more of a quick movement like a cat would move. The katas were actually named after the late Gogen Yamaguchi, the founder of Japanese Goju Ryu.

Ennogyo Katas - also called the Monkey Playing Forms - developed by Juchnik Sensei in order to understand and appreciate one of Professor Mitose's favorite movements...that of the Saru or monkey. Monkey movement is established through the teaching of the system of Ba Gua.

Miyama No Kata - also developed by Juchnik Sensei to exemplify every aspect of movement and motion performed in Kosho Ryu. This includes swordsmanship, use of the Bo staff, Jo staff, escaping arts, nage arts, and the atemi arts. The main emphasis is utilizing all the different angles and triangulation of movement that one can do. A beautiful kata! Watching Juchnik Sensei demonstrate the kata will take your breath away.

Juni Ippo Kata - established through Chosin Chibana between the 1920s and 1930s as an attempt to unify several different martial arts ryus at the time.

Pinon Katas - came into the Kai from Anko Itosu to Gichin Funakoshi to

Mas Oyama to Bobby Lowe and finally to Thomas S. H. Young (a close friend and teacher of Juchnik Sensei) who asked Professor Mitose for permission to perform these katas. We now do these forms in the ryu, however, with the mindset of a Kosho Ryu practitioner.

Naihanshi Kata - made famous by Choki Motobu who supposedly did these forms 500 times a day. Came into Kosho Ryu again through Gichin Funakoshi to Mas Oyama to Bobby Lowe and finally to Thomas S. H. Young.

Passai and Kusanku Katas - deal with intent of the Ottoko-no utilizing power, alignment, and penetration. Passai means to "Penetrate the Fortress" and deals with triangulation and fluidity, which in turn deals with impact. Kusanku contains the same intent and is named for a Chinese military attache to Okinawa.

Gankaku Kata - "Crane of the Rock" is a form that was taken from a form called Chinto, the white crane kata.

Empi Kata - means Flying Swallow; however, the first name used for this form was Wansu Kata. Wansu was made famous by the late Tatsuo Shimabuku, the founder of Isshin Ryu. It is also called the "little boy dumping form" because it utilizes the fireman's carry and the body slam.

Shudoso Kata - brought into the Ryu through Robert Trias. This form uses a breathing technique also seen in Tensho and Sanchin katas combined with quick responsive movement as seen in Dan Enn Sho kata which is largely based on Hsing Yi Gung Fu. Many people believe this form is called the "Monk Form", but it is Juchnik Sensei's belief that this form belonged to the late Robert Trias.

More information is available in Juchnik Sensei's books including Kata No Michi. I will investigate your question more thoroughly, and if I find out anything more, I will write to you here.

Juchnik Sensei has encouraged that we study the Filipono arts as well. Kosho Ryu practitioners must also learn swordsmanship, use of the Bo staff, Jo staff, naginata, yari, tanto, tanjo, yubibo, escaping arts, nage arts, atemi arts, shodo (traditional brush painting), the healing arts, martial arts history, Japanese language and culture.

My instructor is very traditional and requires that we perfect our stances, breathing, and movement. We study the Taikyoko katas -- very old katas but very useful for learning breathing, mobility, and stances. There is No Belt Of The Month Club in his dojo. His exams take you to the limit of endurance. Two mistakes and you fail.

Perhaps you can come to The Gathering. This year, it will be held in Reno, Nevada on October 1 & 2. For more information, check out --> http://www.collectivesociety.com/gathering.jsp :karate:

To fall seven and rise eight, life begins now.

Perhaps I'm in a minority. I don't know. But I've always found "fist law" to be a rather strange way of translating kenpo. Certainly the "po" does have legal connotations. However, it is more certainly drawing upon the connotations that have to do with "system" or "method". Therefore, it would be more accurate to translate it as "fist method" or "way of the fist", if you want to sound more poetic. But "fist law" just sounds absurd in my opinion, given the characters and how they are normally used...

I would also argue that Kyan Chotoku was probably more responsible for the spreading of Wansu than Shimabukuro.

Also, while Motobu Choki did do Naihanchi (there's several ways of writing and pronouncing it, but most tend to agree there is a "chi" towards the end, not a "shi") a lot, it was more of a staple of Okinawan karate anyway rather than made famous by him. If he never existed (thankfully he did, as he did much to further karate), it still would be pretty famous.

Other than that...nice post. I didn't mean to jump all over you. These are just what I believe to be my educated opinions.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/