• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question on Control

Ises

Hi there. I'm curious. I've been training since October and have my yellow belt (although I can't seem to change my avatar). I've been training twice a week at my do jo as well as as often as possible in between. I've been picking apart various aspects of my training and have noticed that the one big problem i have is with sparring and control.

I seem to be developing a reputation as being a bit rough at my do jo. I haven't quite hurt anyone seriously but I can't seem to grasp the concept of no contact when sparring. My sensai told me I need to learn more control and although I was taken aback, I totally agree. How does one develop the control? One thing that was mentioned is that I get too close when I spar and when I am with someone inexperienced or slower than me, we tend to contact accidently. I'm very frustrated with this aspect and I'm very willing to learn, I just don't know how. Can anyone share some advice on this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's a common problem in the junior ranks. You're just not used to how much range your limbs have. Practice with a spot on the wall, and throw your technique as hard as you can towards the wall.

When you hit, back up a bit.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Hi there. I'm curious. I've been training since October and have my yellow belt (although I can't seem to change my avatar). I've been training twice a week at my do jo as well as as often as possible in between. I've been picking apart various aspects of my training and have noticed that the one big problem i have is with sparring and control.

I seem to be developing a reputation as being a bit rough at my do jo. I haven't quite hurt anyone seriously but I can't seem to grasp the concept of no contact when sparring. My sensai told me I need to learn more control and although I was taken aback, I totally agree. How does one develop the control? One thing that was mentioned is that I get too close when I spar and when I am with someone inexperienced or slower than me, we tend to contact accidently. I'm very frustrated with this aspect and I'm very willing to learn, I just don't know how. Can anyone share some advice on this?

Changing the belt on the forum is done by number of posts,and has no relationship to your actual ranking in martial arts.

As for control? You have NO contact at all? :o Anyway, I agree with the last poster - practice finding your range in both punches and kicks. I don't see anything wrong with getting in close, though from a self defense stand point remember if you're close you are opening yourself up to attack as well - especially if you're close and on the inside; in a no contact situation that might not be readily apparent to you. Practicing distancing in non sparring situations is helpful to so you visually know your range when it comes to people as well (eg one partner punches or kicks and the other performs a counter - the puncher/kicker should find their range before they begin).

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

You can practice control alone, all by yourself. "Dance" around a bag or even near a wall or corner or tree or what ever, indoors or outside. Act as if you were sparring. Keep punching combos to what ever is in front of you - a bag, a wall, a tree - and make sure you only slightly tap the target. Start with a relaxed pace and then pick up the speed. You will soon learn how to punch full speed with 100% control from all kinds of distances and angles. Practise is the key.

Thanks so much for the response! I'm surprised it was so fast! I'm going to try all of it. I think my biggest problme is I'm a bit overzealous. I really enjoy sparring and I just get too excited. I'm going to really try the bag one, thanks kirves!

I've posted this here before, but here goes again...

I don't like throwing hard punches at the wall. Too much chance of injuring the wall. And, if you have a problem with control anyway, the odds are increased of dammage.

Dancing around a dummy or a heavy bag (as was suggested) is a good idea. Another good way is to hang strips of paper or tennis balls, anything light, by chord or string. Hang them around a room or patio at different heights and intervals. Practice moving around and punching at them full force, but try to only tap them. With paper you can try to just let the wind from your punch move them.

One thing, when you are sparing, most schools don't expect a begginer to get as close with their punches as a higher rank. You might want to back off a little and work more on technique an recognizing openings. You don't have to back off too much, just to the point you feel you have good control. As you get better, land them closer.

Freedom isn't free!

build your muscles some more

the stronger the muscles in one's arm the easier it is to control the muscles

and like the others said practice next to something

try a brick wall - you get punished if you hit it too hard

I agree Delta. The tennis ball method is quite good and easy on the hands. I still do it only I let the balls swing back and forth to work on my timing as well. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Agreed with the use of tennis balls or sheets of paper for focus training. Just remember the better your control, the less likely you'll be hit back with the same amount of force, or more :o

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Control was something I had a big problem with up unitl say Brown Belt leval.

It stinks to hurt a person in class but your better off knowing how to hit with power. Pulling things are great but at the same time if you pull everything all the time when you have to use it in real life you will be likely to pull your techinque then.

Learn control YES but don't see the lack of it as being a huge problem.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."