• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bo, Jo or Hanbo?

This is my first post on the forum.. so hi everyone.

I have just started to study kobudo mainly Sai and Bo. I'm really into Bo, but I find it a bit too heavy and long for me to handle proficiently as I'm not the biggest or tallest person on the planet :lol:

Does anyone else chose to use Jo or Hanbo instead as they are a little shorter? I know a shorter staff would give less reach, but might be easier for me to handle. And can the same kata and bunkai be used as with bo?

Sorry if this has all been discussed here before.

Thanks!

Oss,

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A staff should be purchased that is the right proportion to your body. A long staff for me is 6'. A long staff for a shorter person might be 4'. Even though a long staff for them would be a middle staff for me.

We typically use long staff for spinning practice, and then use middle staff for forms and sparring. But yes, you can still use a shorter staff to practice all the same things as a long staff.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

There are various types of bo's on the market, as well as weights. One way to measure a bo for you is to hold one arm above your head, and bend your hand at the wrist. At the bend is where the proper length of the bo should be.

I use a waxwood bo right now because: 1) I was able to cut it down to the size I wanted, 2) It is thin and my hands aren't that big to begin with, and 3) It has plenty of flex.

I've had and used many other bo's, but for now I prefer what I have. The only other bo I may think about getting is another rattan one. Hope this is of some help.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My bo is 5 and a half feet long and is one inch diameter hickory. It has a bit of flex in it and that makes it feel alive in my hands when I execute a technique with a good amount of snap. It is lighter than the bo's others in the dojo are using.

Maybe looking for one in Canadian ash might be nice for you they are lighter and a bit narrower in diameter than many others.

I'm a smaller person too. When I got my bo I bought a tapered oak one, and then measured how much I would need to cut to make it my size. Then just halfed that and cut each side by the amt. I got. The Bo was ALOT easier to use once it was my size. See if that works for you:)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---