• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin-Ryu

Kyokushin

Does anybody practice this style here? I'm interested in knowing more about it from people who actually practice Shorin-Ryu. Like things that are stressed in it, philosophy, etc. Anything that seems to seperate this style from others. I just started practicing it so that's why I'm curious:)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i practice isshinryu, which is a combination of shorin-ryu and two other styles.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

and I practise shito-ryu, whichis a combination of shorin-ryu and shorei-ryu, shotokan and goju-ryu.

Shorin-ryu is a Shuri-te style (fast katas), it is a big Okinawan style.

Kill is love

My teacher teaches Okiniwa Shorin Ryu karatejutsu katas although the main style he teaches is Okiniwa Goju Ryu Karatejutsu. He also teaches Uechi ryu katas as well. He does not beiliev in styles as they limit you. I don't know his grade in the system but he has trained with the main teachers of Okiniwa Shorin Ryu.

I have heard him many times when comparing shorin ryu to goju ryu and I remember 2 example he gave. Goju is like a muddy river with rocks. Done slowly but very strong. Shorin ryu is like a flowing river done very fast. Goju is like an old spring, slightly slow, but strong. Shorin ryu is like a new spring, very light and quick. Once one technique is done it immiedietly flows into another (like a flowing river).

This probobly has absolutely given you no information apart from some nice metaphors. But basically he said shorin ryu is desendant from the snake systems of china and is meant ideally for a lean small person.

Neil

I have heard him many times when comparing shorin ryu to goju ryu and I remember 2 example he gave. Goju is like a muddy river with rocks. Done slowly but very strong. Shorin ryu is like a flowing river done very fast. Goju is like an old spring, slightly slow, but strong. Shorin ryu is like a new spring, very light and quick. Once one technique is done it immiedietly flows into another (like a flowing river).

Interesting. Doesn't sound like the Goju Ryu I do. Goju uses a lot of soft, fast, snapping movements. "Go Ju" means hard soft, so it combines both hard, strong movements with fast, soft, light movements.

I study Shorin Ryu but may be underqualified to make comparisons to other styles.

I know our blocks combine a strike with a block. Our dojo stresses speed, power and snap.

The comment "one punch one kill" is often referred to.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Hmm....isn't Goju-ryu rather a soft style, with short stances, light and powerful? But yes, Shorin-ryu is light and quick...fast katas.

Kill is love

Goju is hard/soft, as the name go=hard, ju = soft means.

Okinawan Goju does have shorter stances, but Japanese Goju has deeper stances.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I've done both; when I made the transition, stances were some of the changes.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse