• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello everybody,

I've decided to take martial arts!! I live in southern arkansas so I have a very slim list of schools but basically i have to choose between learning isshinryu or tang soo do. If anyone has any opinons about these to styles i would very much appreciate to hear them that I would. Thanx for any posts!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say TSD hehehehe. Ok, I'm a little bias, so don't listen to me LOL.

Seriously, it depends on what you want out of martial arts. Both are good arts for self defense. I hear a lot of good things about Isshin Ryu, and I have done TSD.

Take a few classes at both schools to see what you think. Most schools have free trial classes. Or even watch a few classes. It depends on what you are looking for.

I wish you luck, and welcome to the world of martial arts. Enjoy :)

Laurie F

Differences between clubs/instructors are often more significant than differences between styles, so its most important to visit the clubs, see what you think and whether it suits you. Especially as the two styles aren't light years apart...

(Obviously with, say, Muay Thai and Judo, the differences of the style are more significant. But with broadly similar styles like Karate, TSD and TKD, the choice of instructor is IMHO generally more important)

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

If you are into sport and tournaments, I'd say TSD. If you are into traditional self defence, I'd say Isshin-ryu. Both contain both, but they have slight differences in focus. But these are just my personal views, I guess there are a few hundred people on this forum who disagree with me. :P

Well, if I was you, I would choose Isshin-ryu. If you want to practise Karate, of course. And if you plan to compete or something in the future, then Isshin-ryu would be most accepted at competitions.

Kill is love

I would base my choice more on the schools/instructors than the styles.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Exactly! That's right karate woman! :)

My swedish Sensei told me once:

"the style is not so important and doesn't matter, important is who the instructor is"

Go to the both Dojo's and get to know both instructors a bit, then choose the instructor who seems to be a true Sensei.

Kill is love

If you are into sport and tournaments, I'd say TSD. If you are into traditional self defence, I'd say Isshin-ryu. Both contain both, but they have slight differences in focus. But these are just my personal views, I guess there are a few hundred people on this forum who disagree with me. :P

Ummmm TSD isn't sport (not the way I learned it anyhow). That is more of a TKD thing (WTF).

Anyways, each art has their "sport" side, if you like that kind of thing.

Laurie F

GreenKi:

Go check out both and see which you feel most comfortable with then go with that. You won't really know until at least 3 months of training if the style/instruction is for you.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Differences between clubs/instructors are often more significant than differences between styles, so its most important to visit the clubs, see what you think and whether it suits you. Especially as the two styles aren't light years apart...

Yup!

Freedom isn't free!