• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing for 10th Kyu-Ho!!

NFleischman

Hey! yesterday my Sensei told me he felt I was ready to test for my yellow belt in a few weeks! This will be the first test I have ever taken and do any of you guys have some tips? Do you know what is typical on a yellow belt test? (Shito-Ryu Karate)

Shito-Ryu Karate

3 Months Active Training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, relax. Karate is about control, so show it as much as you can. You'll be nervous and will inevitably tense up a bit, but breathe and do it. You know you can, and apparently your Sensei does as well.

As far as what the test will be, each system varies. I do Goju Ryu, and tests consist of kata, bunkai (kata application), kiso kumite (sparring), basic technique demonstrations, and sometimes question & answer oral exams. Since this is your first test, you will probably have to demonstrate proper dojo etiquette.

Good luck, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Relax and you will be fine

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

my best advice for testing is to stay cool and relax man just let it happen

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Try to find someone that holds a higher rank and see if he'll go over the schematics of the test with you. A lot of our instructors get privates right before a test so they can go over everything and see if there's something they still need to work on. Just make sure you know your belt requirements!