• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a little early sai training

hey, okay, please please PLEASE! Dont jump me for this, but im getting some sais for my birthday (the 18th0 because my parents know there my favorite martial arts weapon and we dont really get to study them for a while in my style so i was wondering if someone new some websites i could go to and learn okinawain sai from, just the forms and stances and stuff for fun so i can maybe paick something up! *ducks and cringes behind a desk*

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of a site but I do know Richard Kim's books on kobudo have sai forms in them.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Demura's Sai: Karate Weapon of Self Defense book has some good basic postures in it, as does Sakagami's "nunchaku and sai"

Just remember, the tines of the sai are perpendicular to the ground when you chamber the hand!!!!!

Workout with the grip changes enough, and you will have the forearms of a 15 year old boy.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

??????? why would i want the forearms of a fifteen year old boy?

hum...i have seen the book on karate weapon of self defense before, in centuries catalog. yea, that probably would. id feel more comfroble if i knew a karate ka there who was my age.

I'm looking for the same information. I am not in a Karate class of any sort. I was once in a Tae Kwon Do class many years ago, but that hardly counts. I don't have the money to pay for schooling/training of any sort, and I received a pair of Sais (Zai) as a gift. I've long wanted to learn this weapon, but due to my lack of funds, I am wondering if there are any free or inexpensive methods of learning how to properly wield the Sai.

Before I became interested in the Sai, I used the Nunchaku. I still use them constantly for fun... I've also learned that I think better while training with them. Any resourches on Nunchaku will be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in Advance.

yea, ive been there and done that downward spiral. its hard to get any kid of karate training these days. you have to work so long to pay for it that you dont have time to go.

unless the people who bought them are martial arts experts and know to buy super expensive shureido brand sai that are up to 5 times more expensive than regular sai.... you've prolly got run of the mill sai.

As for high quality, I guess it depends on what you'll be doing with them. Just for toying and playing with, I'm sure they're fine. Usually the cheap part is the handle wrapping which rots and falls off after a few months.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Yeah, I have noticed that the wrapping on mine is starting to rip in various places.

When the time comes that it falls off, what should I use to replace it? Cloth Tape? It appears the stuff that is on the Sai now is a self-adhesive leather.. of sorts. I don't know where to purchase the same material.