• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questioning American Kenpo

TheDevilAside

hehehehe i got that joke delta.. your a funny man, i like you

Thanks. I was hoping that someone would write a little about TSD, as I don't know much about it. Other styles interest me, and I work out with other practitioners any chance I get. But I havn't ran across this one yet.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
No clue. The only thing I have against American Kenpo is that it's states in it's name that it has been changed in some way from the original Kenpo. If it hasn't then the American part isn't really necessary. Unless there is a story behind this someone can share with me to further add to my rather miniscule pit of knowledge.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Anyone who studied under Parker directly is legit, but then it stems out into many generations in a short period of time. With this being said there are a ton of McDojos bearing the american kenpo defense system. Beware of place that are called American Self Defense/Super Heros of Martial Arts, Masters of blah blah blah...the list goes on. Always check them out and watch some classes first. The original American Kenpo system is great and offers a lot of great self defense techs. Some of the newer watered down schools don't have the complete system and usually replace those techs with god knows what...

No clue. The only thing I have against American Kenpo is that it's states in it's name that it has been changed in some way from the original Kenpo. If it hasn't then the American part isn't really necessary.

As I said earlier, it was changed in many ways. AK incorporates moves and principals from a lot of different arts. AK has a lot of similarities to other styles of Kenpo/Kempo. But it is distinctly different, its own style.

As for the 'American ' part, think of a person born in the US but whose whose parents are Chinese immigrants to America. That person could be said to be Chinese, but he is an American.

Freedom isn't free!

...there are a ton of McDojos bearing the american kenpo defense system. Beware of place that are called American Self Defense/Super Heros of Martial Arts, Masters of blah blah blah...the list goes on....

Well, I've never heard of anything like that. But I'd certainly be wary of anyone giving themselves shuch grandois titles.

The original American Kenpo system is great and offers a lot of great self defense techs. Some of the newer watered down schools don't have the complete system and usually replace those techs with god knows what...

Yes, I'd be wary of some who've radically changed the system. But I'd be more wary of someone who teaches the system without understanding it. That goes for any system. But some of Mr Parkers students made radical changes to the system, or went to other arts or styles and combined them with AK, with Mr Parkers' blessings. Also, Mr Parker taught some people different things or versions of Kenpo. Huk Plannas, Chuck Sullivan, and Dr. Chapel are some examples. Other early students, like the Tracy's, left the system before it was complete. So while they have all the 'original' moves, hey don't have some of the later refinements.

Freedom isn't free!