• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questioning American Kenpo

TheDevilAside

...What is the deal with American Kenpo and the creator of it, Ed Parker?

I am hearing so many stories from so many sides... I'm completely confused. Some say Ed Parker re-designed kenpo/kempo to make it more effective in real life situations in America. Others say Parker is a phony who stole all of the Kenpo/Kempo techniques, added his name to it, some numbers and called it his own.

Anyone have an opinion? I would like to know... since I am torn between choosing a Tang Soo Do, American Kenpo or Karate school.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I study American Kenpo, so I'll answer your questions if I can.

Ed parker was, and is still, regarded as one of the top martial artists by most of his peers. He trained with, and trained, some of the best of a variety of styles. His base was Chuan Fa, under Prof. Chow. What Mr. Parker did was to take the principals from a lot of arts and catalog them. He discarded any moves that were ineffective, did away with wasted motion, and worked out a complete style based on proven principals. He took a lot from other styles, and added some of his own. He also devised a unique method of teaching movement and principals with his techniques. AK was designed as a practical, effective martial art geared to the Western mind, though based on Chinese martial arts primarily.

As for those who say Ed Parker was a phoney, I suppose any one who is successful at anything will have their detractors. But no one who knew Mr. Parker, or who saw him move, would call him that. I'd say if you want to know who is the phoney here, there's an easy way to tell. Consider that those who disparage the works of a man regarded by many experts to be a genious are probably also telling you how they learn respect and honor where they train. It may be taught there, but in their case it didn't take.

If you are considering which school to attend, I'd say try them all for yourself. See which suits you best. Which instructor seems more competant, which style you think you'll enjoy learning. And see which school practices what they teach both martially and character wise. Pick the school best suited to you. But don't let the prejudices and misinformed judgement of others sway you. It is your time and money you will be investing here. See for yourself, then decide.

Good luck, whatever path you take.

Freedom isn't free!

Speaking as a confirmed proponent of Japanese and Okinawan karate, I would have to say that Kenpo is a very fine martial art! I have always been very impressed with Kenpo practitoner's footwork,and with their eagerness to innovate.

Having said that, I would have to add that, like TKD, Kenpo suffers from a large number of McDojo owners. Make sure the person you would train with is legitemate.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Thank you so much. You've really cleared things up for me!

And as far as making sure the school isn't an McDojo, how exactly can I find that out? I mean, I'm not an expert on martial arts, so how can I recognize one? So far the only proof I've found is that all of the schools are tied with martial arts 'alliances' for instance, the International Kenpo Karate Association, ect. I'm going to be visiting a few schools this coming week. So maybe you could give me an idea what to look for? ...one of the schools instructor is also a 5th degree black belt. But I've also heard that in some cases that doesn't even really matter.

Well, atleast you cleared up one thing for me... but now I'm full of questions again, heh.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

The IKKA is a good organization, and its member schools would have to meet their standards to remain in good standing. You can check the IKKA website at:

http://ikka.us/

As for spoting a McDojo, there are a few signs:

AK is a reality based style. First and foremost, they should spar. There are a lot of types of sparing- slow sparing, no contact continuous, moderate and 'full' contact. They should do all these periodically, though contact may be restricted to higher belts.

Drills- any good school drills its basics, and does it often. There are also sensitivity and fighting drills.

Look at the atitude of the instructors and students. Are they respectful, both to each other and to people outside their style. Only a McDojo has to tear down another style to make theirselves look good. Not to be confused with pointing out weaknesses in a style. But if they are truly objectively loking at understanding what someone else does, they will also point out the strengths, and analize how they deal with strengths and take advantage of weaknesses. Even as a begginer you should be able to spot the difference in honest annalysis and bashing.

Watch them move. No on expects lower belts to move profficiently, but higher belts should move notably better, even to an untrained eye. There's a saying that a black belt walking down the street should look like a Marine on roller blades. You'll know.

There are a lot of other things to look for, and a lot of other opinions as to what constitutes a McDojo. But those are some I'd concentrate on.

As for the other schools, maybe if you list their associations here some of the forum members in those styles can tell you about them. Take your time in deciding. This is potentially a big investment for you (possibly the rest of yur life), so a little time now is well worth while. Again, good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

ok, finally a topic i can help someone at.. hehe

I have spent an unimaginable amount of time visiting dojos [mainly karate and kenpo] over the past year.. and I know a great deal about spotting a sweat factory/mcdojo/bullsh*t. i also used to train in chinese kenpo system just incase anyone is curious.

1. If you already have some martial arts knowledge and/or background then just sit in on a lesson and watch the class and teacher. mainly pay attention to the teacher.. is he barely pulling off those kicks? is his footwork off balance or sloppy? does he look like he is having a tough time performing?.. next watch the higher belt students and see how they move.. are their moves lacking power? do they forget their katas in the middle of performing it?

2. weither or not you have experience.. is someone trying to badger you with handouts and pamplets and videos... usually places that lack in quality will try to make up for it in pretty demos and presentations.

3. ask the teacher and students if they do any sparring? if so what kind? point, free sparring, full contact? any good school will give students the option of sparring with eachother.

4. how much $ does the school want? do they want to charge you $100 a month and $100 a belt advancement? and the next question you have to ask yourself is "do these facilities need this kind of money to stay open?" You might find yourself in a dojo no bigger then your living room, but the instructor wants an amount of money that could fuel a dojo 5 times that size". these places are the money suckers and have around 12 to 14 belt ranks for the sole purpose of getting thousands out of each student.

5. and finally, ask your instructor under whom he trained and a little background on the lineage. is this just some guy who studied for 5 years under some guy who lives in new jersey who went to japan for summer vacation and watched the karatekid series? or did he spend a chunk of time studying under a genius?

well i hope those help.. feel free to visit this site as well

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/5699/dojo.htm

goodluck.

is this just some guy who studied for 5 years under some guy who lives in new jersey who went to japan for summer vacation and watched the karatekid series?

Good one! :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.