How long to black?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how it is at other Dojos but in our shodan ( first black) is just another step on the path, it is when the student really starts to learn.

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"

Ninjitsu doesn't have ranks does it?

Depends on what ninjutsu we are talking about. If we talk about koryu ninjutsu (old/medieval ninjutsu) then they do have the same kind of menkyo ranking system as the other bujutsu arts did. For example Masaaki Hatsumi has the rank of Menkyo Kaiden in Togakure-ryu - if I remember correctly. This Menkyo system was the "standard" ranking system in most Japanese bujutsu arts.

If we talk about the modern systems called ninjutsu, many of them have developed their own modern ranking systems with belts and whatever.

It took me a little over four years in an accelerated training program. They normally quote 4-6 yrs as an approximation, given 2-3 days a week training with no breaks.

I had to wait 2 yrs before testing for 2nd, and tested for another 2. So, a little over eight years for 2nd.

I'm on my 2nd of 3 yrs wait to start testing for 3rd. Given another 2 yrs of testing, it will make 13 yrs. to third with only a six month break during a move to a different part of the country.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

6 - 7 years to get black sash in Seven Star Praying Mantis kung fu

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.

it takes at least 3 to 4 years in shotokan karate to get your BB

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

it depends on how much u train and how much classes u visit in a week. and of course what effort u put ur self in it.

as far as i know it take about 4-5 years to achieve black belt in TKD; not talking about a mcdojo :wink:

I have never done TKD before but from what I have been told by those who have,it only takes 2yrs. to become black belt and to be considered a master,never heard of it taking 4yrs..That's why I always laugh when someone tells me they have a black belt in TKD.Any art where you can get a black belt in 2yrs. is a joke as far as I am concerned.

Maybe at your dojo it takes 4-5yrs,but I have never heard of that for TKD dojo before.

I know in karate it take four to five years though.It took me fours years to get my black belt in Goju Ryu,with hard training 5-6x a week.

In Pankration it takes 7 + years to get to black level,but it takes 1yr. of Pankration to equal that of a black belt in any other style,that's because we concentrate specifically on sparring for tournaments and also concentrate specifically on street-defense.

Muay Thai fighter...I have been training since March 1999 (about 4 and a half years), and I figure it will take me aboiut three more months before I test for my black belt. My instructor's rank (5th dan) is technically in ITF TKD, but he is not affiliated with any governing body because many of them are corrupt, money hungry, and MCDOJO-ish in general. No one under 16 usually gets a black belt, though one boy who had been training since early childhood got his at 14.

BJJ is a totally different story...out of everyone who trains, about 1% maybe are black belts....it's not like say TKD, where about 20% has a black belt. Those who say they can get the BB in their art in 2 years....often it takes longer than two years just to get your first promotion from white belt! I am about halfway to blue perhaps, and I;ve been training over a year...usually it takes around 10 years for the BB.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!