How long to black?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really matter how long you get to black belt? Say you get your black belt in 2 years in whatever style of karate. The first time you use it in real life you get your face kicked in.

So in reality, it's better to get it in 2 years than say 4. You would be less pissed off with 2 years. Less money spent, and more important, less time wasted.

"A blue belt can beat a black belt from any other art. A purple belt can beat his instructor. Past that, you don't want to know."

- Roy Harris explaining the different Belt Levels of BJJ.

well, it seems as though nearly everyone here seems to share the opinion that the color of the belt dosen't matter as much as the skills of the practitioner...

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

for everyday during the week since I was 7 and now I'm 17 I was doing BJJ and sometimes I would go to another dojo and do shotkan. I'm a black belt in BJJ after almost 10 years. I don't know why it took so long,maybe because I was young.

I think this depends... my friend which is 12 has been in karate 8 years and just got black belt(shito ryu) but then my other friend only took 3 years to brown, shes 16, same style. i think it varies

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

How did I miss this thread for so long?

It took me about 2.5 years...normally it takes 3 to 4, but I did a lot of extra training in the summers. Add teaching time on top of that, and I was pretty much putting in 25 hours a week during the school year, and 40 hours a week during the summer.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.