• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long to black?

Well for Kyokushin my Sensei always said it takes 4-6 yrs. However I've been working my butt off for five and still have a couple of years left. Oh well, the journey is worth it. :karate:

Btw, I'm glad to hear that it takes just as long for others. I heard so many people telling me that they got their black belts in two years that I was starting to think I was just slow. Guess I just live in an area w/ a lot of Mcdojos. :P

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought in many arts "the black belt is only the beginning" :) but as i stated; they might regard a BB a different way.

and yes, there are two (actually three) "systems" as u called them. the olympic WTF that teaches Full Contact sparring and how to score points in sparring duels, and the ITF that teaches self defense, mental stuff and is more traditional orientated. many people only see the, more of a sport, WTF. maybe it does not take as long to get a BB there, as it would in ITF; dont know for sure.

What's ATA then? I assume it stands for 'American TaeKonDo Association' but what's the significance if one TKD school is ATA and one isn't?

Bucket Man

----------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

---------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

Orange County Martial Arts Social Club

i dont know much about american tkd, but as far as i am concerned the founder of the association grand master H.U. Lee invented his own style of TKD, because he regarded ITF (to which the ATA formerly was related) as not sufficent in some ways and now teaches Songaham TKD. it is said to provide a better self defense system and i think the patterns (/kata) are somewhat different, but since i am from germany, i am not in the position to judge :)

You know I hear people post about McDojos, and such, when in fact I dont think you guys really know what I McDojo is...you might know the definition of a McDojo. I think that a McDojo is school that teaches only one style with no mixing and no open mind.

I think that some of the styles that take 6-15 years just to get your BlackBelt is preposterous.

Development is something that people want...they dont want to sit around for years learning useless techniques that will never work...or perfecting that perfect sidekick just do they look good.

I think that using the Term MCDOJO for a school that doesnt fit your curriculum is totally arrogant and not open minded at all....

I know allot of instructors that will give a Black Belt to a worthy student in 2 years. As a matter of fact I would also...if the student was dedicated and did what was required.

The black belt is not something to achieve and then stop...

I agree with the statement a couple posts back...

Black is like the true white belt. Now it is time to begin.

Just like going to kindergarden you learn the numbers before you learn to add...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

thugtkd, just because people think it should take 4-5 yrs. to get a black belt (exceptions made for the people who train all the time and are just super good) doesn't mean that we also think that you just quit after that. I personally think four yrs. is average to get a black belt and I'm definately not going to quit after I get it, but when I do I'll know I worked my butt off to get it and there won't be a shadow of a doubt in my mind that I'm not worthy of that rank. You mention useless techniques, who says all the techniques you learn in karate are useless? Yes, there are some I'd have to say are outdated, but really I find 90% of what I learn useful, and if it's not usefull in actual combat it develops my muscles and coordination so that I can do other "useful" techniques even better. My personal definition of a McDojo is a place where there just teaching for money i.e. give belts to those who don't deserve it. I do however agree with you on your last point. Black belt is the beginning. I've always believed so. My Sensei would tell me that once you reach black belt you have mastered the basics. Then you get to the fun stuff :karate: . Just my opinion.

Osu!

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

i always thought that mcdojo was a term to describe a place who seems only interested in how much money they can suck out of you and not care about how they are "teaching" or how you are learning...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

one day, people will stop ASKING how long until i get to black and concerntrate on just GETTING there.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."