• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long to black?

Ok you lot, no fibs now but how long did it take any of you out there to get your black belt? Im now on blue going for purple after 7 months.

"take life by the bone and get the marrow from it"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get my Green Belt - theoretically 1 year but it took - probably 1.5 - 2 years if you leave out the time I took off in the summers. I was off for about 3 or 4 years after that. Once I returned, it took me three years of hard training to go from Green Belt to Shodan (partly because of when the gradings were scheduled, partly because I refused to grade for brown belt until I felt I could perform at my best). So, total physical training to get my black belt: 4 - 5 years; total time in years from starting karate to obtaining my black belt: 10.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I began on February 6th 1981. I received Shodan in June of 1985. That's about average.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

it depends on how much u train and how much classes u visit in a week. and of course what effort u put ur self in it.

as far as i know it take about 4-5 years to achieve black belt in TKD; not talking about a mcdojo :wink:

well, in a mcdojo it depends how much cash you got to spare...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I've been training almost 3 years. I'm no where near black belt. Well, I did switch schools twice. TSD, because I moved. If I stayed, I would have tested for BB in October or November. Then I went to a "sport TKD" school for a year, then quit at blue. Now I do Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan. I was able to keep my rank, but decided to down-grade. In this school it takes an average of three and a half years. I think the longest was 5 years. The shortest was 2 and a half. That guy told me he was there every day training for two hours, though. I don't plan on testing for black till next summer or fall (2004). Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

I've been training a little over three years and have just earned my brown (3rd kyu). It will probably be another couple of years before I'll be ready for black.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi