• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Killed today at a Dojo near my place. Does it happen often ?

goedikey

A week after I joined my dojo, they hosted a small tournament. Since I was still a white belt and clueless to my kata, I went to watch. Everything was going good during the kids' portion (except I think somebody twisted their knee or ankle or something). Then the adult portion began. An elderly orange belt by the name of Ed had just finished his point sparring match, and the next match was going on. Before you knew it, Ed was snoring loudly on his back. Everybody thought it was kinda funny until they realized something wasn't right. As it turned out, Ed had a heart attack. An ambulance was called and the tournament was postponed.

So yeah that was kinda scary. He didn't die though.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard of some LaCrosse player who got hit in the chest with the ball (he was the goalie) at the exact instant it was starting a new beat, and this stopped his heart O.O

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

This was a major pioint of discussion at the Shotokan e-group a year or so ago. There is a tendency for prople with Woff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (WPW) to be prone to suffereirng from ventricular arrythmias induced by percussive injuries to the chest. I have taken care of a few kids who have arrested due to this. In most cases the percussion to the chest leads to the developement of ventricular fibrillation due to a re-entry mechanism present in those with WPW. They posess increased amounts of conductive tissue in the aterioventricular junction, if I recall correctly,and electrical impulses can "re-enter" the ventricular conduction pathways, setting up lethal arrythmias. Ninjanurse, can you help me out here?

Anyway, they enter vfib that is recalcitrant to electrical conversion, as well as to drug therapy like epinephrine and lidocaine. I have read of studies where calcium channel blockers were shown to have some utility, but by the time the patient reaches the ED, the ecfficacy of Ca++ channel blockers is doubtful.

THis post in in danger of deteriorating into a critique of the new ACLS guidelines, so I shall quit while I'm ahead!

:D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

When one compehends the true nature of martial arts, one is fully aware that authentic teachings forbid devaluing, hurting, or destroying the tiniest living creature that crawls at our feet, not to speak of maiming or taking the life of another human being. It is one of the awful ironies of our age martial-arts training that evolved over the centuries into a supremely elegant system centered on attention to ethics, morality, and right living should now be conducted in terms of tecniques and gimmicks of fighting as means to destructive ends, rather than as ends in themselves!

Kill is love

hi

to kill someone by hitting them in the torso needs alot of power and do's not happen alot, so keep going karate and don't think about it

L8er

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker