• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have 2 questions. First being, I an in a Jiujutsu class ,and a lot of the guys in the class go to Judo and Jiujutsu Tournaments. I’m also a weightlifter, I’ve been lifting longer then I’ve been in Martial Arts. I am wondering, for grappling and throwing uses in Judo and Jiujutsu tournaments, what kind of weightlifting program do you guys use? And when do you spend it in the gym? When do you work out so the weakness from the gym will not interfere with your training time? That is a problem I’ve had. I go the “official” classes Monday and Thursday, but we get together at the Ryu as a few more times a week to spar. When should I lift so that is will not interfere with the Sparring and drilling?

Second question is, what sites do you guys have that can tell me about Judo tournaments in my area when there a coming? I live a few hours East of Dallas, Texas, and a few hours near the boards of Louisiana, Arkansans, and Oklahoma. I can make it to Tournements in these areas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Abs, strengthen your abs. Look at the throws carefully and in slow-motion (if possible). All the turning and power comes from the hips and abdominal section. I do one set of 3 or 4 different abs exercises in the morning when I get up, just something light and not a full work out. I normally do a more full abs workout after my cardio roughly 3 or 4 times a week. Also do a lot of warm up stretches to keep my flexibility so I can adjust to different situations when trying to toss my opponent. When to train and how hard depends on how often and how hard I spar, if I go hard in one I'll take it easy on the other the following day. I also try to get in some rest. Rest is very important in my training, over training can lead to a lot of bad things, physically and psychologically, so I consider rest an equal part of my training with lifting and sparring.

As for your second question, sorry, can't help you there.

All the best.

Fight the system with the system and not against the system