• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Point Sparring Useless?

WhiteBelt

We do quite alot of point sparring in my club and i kinda like it, it has a little more point than you might think, you see after you get a point you restart (am i right?)

well "real fights" (fights outside the dojo) dont last 10 seconds and so one good punch to the solar plexus or one quik little combo will finish most people (after all it aint hollywood :) ) and thus point sparring was invented so that the person with the best timing, initutive, reflexes and speed has a good chance of winning, compared to a big "tank" of a guy who can only dish out and take in hits

hope that helped :karate:

If you think one good punch to the solar plexus will finish most people, you are gravely mistaken. Usually during fights, people don't feel bodyshots until afterwards. Have you been in many fights? Trust me on this one unless you have a punch like mike tyson then only attack the body if the face is guarded.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree, in isshinryu we learn the concept from okinawa or 'one punch one kill' its the reason isshinryu fist are always verticle punches, but our verticle punches are never straight up and down, there tilted slightly. the reason for this is pretty cool. look at your chest and feel down along the edge, see how it forms an upside down V? punching directly there with that verticle fist tilted makes a perfect fit. now, there are two floating ribs there, if you penatrate correctly both will break off, one will puncture the lung, the other, the liver. killing the opponet.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

it depends, i mostly crave the response you can get rather than actually experinced it before. but i have BEEN to many tournaments when i couldnt afford karate training. back then i saw all that i could and i went to the 1999 ISKA tournament in florida and there was definitly some crowd response. and the bigger ones? like K-1 oh yea, theres a response.

it depends, i mostly crave the response you can get rather than actually experinced it before. but i have BEEN to many tournaments when i couldnt afford karate training. back then i saw all that i could and i went to the 1999 ISKA tournament in florida and there was definitly some crowd response. and the bigger ones? like K-1 oh yea, theres a response.

I meant the big ones where there are so many rings going at the same time it is hard to keep track as a spectator - especially if the one you want to see is at the far end from where your seats are.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

ewwww! i hate it when that happens, i mean what the big hurry! they just do it one match at a time. IWKA is like that at first, i wish it wasnt though, that is a good match to watch however, if you like isshinryu style.

ewwww! i hate it when that happens, i mean what the big hurry! they just do it one match at a time. IWKA is like that at first, i wish it wasnt though, that is a good match to watch however, if you like isshinryu style.
Well with over 500 competitors it takes all day to do it even with all those rings. :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

[if you think one good punch to the solar plexus will finish most people, you are gravely mistaken. Usually during fights, people don't feel bodyshots until afterwards. Have you been in many fights? Trust me on this one unless you have a punch like mike tyson then only attack the body if the face is guarded.

I have been in enough to know what i am talking about, i know thier is no "winning stratagy" to every fight but in most fights a punch, frust to the plexus, was all i needed to:

A. excape

B. sweep/take away thier legs, and then repedidly hit them till they are no longer a threat

I'm not saying that they will "feel" it straight away, but it will sure as hell knock the wind out of him, which gives me ample time to execute tatic A, or B.

make no mistake, i know what im talking about, and i also do attack the face as it is more affective to "stun" them with and then good old A & B kicks in :)

Danuall san- "Up you'res OLD man, wax your own DAM cars, im goin out ta get LAID"

-Scott

https://www.worldkarate.net

A_Mind

your second explaination makes more sense.

your first one kinda of came off as "I can finish a fight in the first strike."

which in my experience has never happened.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

If you can't finish a street situation in one blow then get a better instructor.

If you don't sometimes you will get seriously mashed- even if it doesnt KO it should stun seriously enough to land the next shot without any resistance.

Rich

The advantage to point stuyle sparring, in my non-humble opinion, lies most with its cardiovascular conditioning benefits (rather like wind sprints). Other than that, its pretty worthless.

Back when I did tournaments, I would quickly kick my opponent in the thigh, or some such, take the warning for illegal contact,and count on having just intimidated the poor bugger! :D Its all about winning and losing, not about karate. :(

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!