• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feeling weak during first classes, can I go slowly ?

goedikey

Hello,

Today was my 2nd class at Karate and I have left because I was not feeling good.

I am 6ft 235Lb 28 y/o male. I can run and play badminton without problem.

In the beginning of my Karate class, the initial workout/stretching was intense. I could keep up with most of it but was quite hard.

I very much like the concept but everything is so fast, and I cant recuperate.

What should I do ? Maybe go slowly ? Will the master understand ?

i want to go back because it is interesting...

Thank you

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You should be able to work at your own pace - you should push yourself, but not to the point of being unable to continue. I suspect if you talk to the master you will be encouraged to do as I just suggested; I'd be surprised otherwise.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

You'd be surprised as to the effects martial arts training has on the 'ol body. You start to use the muscles that are perhaps seldom used in other routine or sport activities. Or simply used in a different manner. I would suggest you work at a pace that is comfortable to you. If you have to take a breather then do so. I doubt your instructor will fault you for that or even have a problem with catching your wind. The last thing he/she wants is to have a student pass out or unnecessarily injure themselves, as that will accomplish nothing.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Thank you for your replies.

Right now, the only memory I have of Karate is a very fast paced, painful experience.

I will slow it down a bit and move gradually.

It is unfortunate that it has been that way until now and really want a chance at this...as I was expecting a pleasureable experience.

Regards

Yan

You are the only one who knows how you feel and if its hurt or pain. Go as far as you can but you teacher should understand it will take you a while to keep up. Don't make it an excuse and work to meet the goals of the class. Their is no shame in not being able to do something only shame in not trying to do something out of fear.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

When I first started in Tang Soo Do, I was like you. My instructor was understanding. He told me if I feel I need to stop, just bow out and take a breather. He always encouraged us to go at our own pace. Your instructor should do the same (if he is human LOL).

Laurie F

I got tired when I first started karate, and still get tired sometimes.

The instructors where I train are good with beginners. They expect you to take frequent water breaks, and only do as much as you are capable of and not keep up completely with the class. All white belts are cut a lot of slack.

I found dehydration was responsible for a heap of my tiredness at first. Remember to drink water frequently.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Good choice, goedikey :) You should push yourself a bit, but not to the point of throwing up or anything LOL (I did that once .... eeewwwww). Drink plenty of fluids through out the day, not just in class. That will help hydrate you before you start class. Good luck, and let us know how you do :)

Laurie F