• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dojo not focusing on competition - at all!

karate_woman

As some of you know, I returned to the martial arts at the end of February this year. I don't think I've mentioned that one of the things I was looking forward to (besides training itself) was returning to competition. I enjoy competing, and enjoy the process of working my butt off to improve my techniques for them as well. I know I can improve my techniques for the sake of improving them (which I am doing), but I like the extra edge that I get when I'm preparing for competitions. :D

Kata is one thing that I can compete in without my Sensei getting involved too much other than making suggestions he should be making anyway, so my main concern is sparring. We RARELY spar anymore (never on a night other than a Friday), and when Sensei dedicates time for sparring many of the other students just don't show up for those classes. :( Friday nights seem to be the "dedicated" nights for sparring and grappling, but Sensei is only at the dojo 1 out of every 4 Fridays and other people teach the other nights (I've avoided teaching those nights myself because I can't be there in time to teach the early classes and Sensei needs someone there all evening). The fact Sensei isn't there wouldn't be a big deal in and of itself, but the last few times I've gone on a Friday night it has just been me and the instructor (again - almost nobody else wants to spar/grapple), and these instructors are at the dojo so rarely (only for these Friday night classes in fact) we just work on kata so they can keep up at least some of their skills.

The really sad thing is Sensei isn't against competition - he is hosting a shiai this weekend in fact - but from my understanding none of the adults are competing this weekend because we never practice for competition -there are only a few of us that like to compete :(. I talked to the other adults last night and nobody was competing. One is showing up to help judge, but that's about it. The other black belt in my class said "we never practice, I'm not going in there and making an ass of myself". I tend to agree with him - we're going to have members of Team Canada there to compete against! I really want to compete, but I want to be at MY BEST! Losing isn't a big deal, but losing because I'm not at my best is not acceptable.

I've been seriously considering finding another dojo - at least while I'm still driven to compete. The members of Team Canada I referred to belong to a dojo about 1/2 an hour away, but they are from another style (a version of Kempo). I'm considering talking to the Sensei and seeing what she says; since I want to compete, I don't want to go back to white belt as I won't be able to compete for several years until I regain my black belt in their style (it obviously wouldn't be fair to compete as a kyu belt). I suppose I could still compete as a black belt but be whatever belt I am at her dojo - I wouldn't have a problem with that if she wouldn't.

Oh, what to do? The main reason I have a problem with this is that I've always been loyal. My Sensei is a student of my former Sensei. Of course, my former Sensei has since retired, and my present Sensei is no longer meeting my needs. I enjoy what we actually DO in class, but I can't bring myself to give up sparring...training without sparring isn't training to me. I really think Goju is an amazing style, and would be sad to leave it, but the Kempo they practice includes hard and soft aspects as well.

I'd rather not whine to Sensei about it since it won't do any good; he knows I love sparring, but he isn't willing to lose all these students he's acquired that hate sparring and competing; got to pay the bills you know!

Any thoughts?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Go to the kempo. I understand why you are sad to leave, but you can't stop competing because you're at a school with soft, lazy students!

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Hey karate_woman, you have tough choices ahead.

I have a couple of ideas of what I would do and hopefully my thoughts and feelings will help as you are on your path to find your way.

I would first talk to your Sensei (if you haven't already) and express your concern as well as your passion about sparing and competing. Would he and the other instructors spar with you at the end of the night (class)? Other students can watch and that may inspire them to try sparring themselves. Just one idea right now.

If your Sensei and other instructors are not willing for any reason at all, ask your Sensei how he would feel about you going to another school that focuses more on sparring and competing? I know and understand that this would be a difficult conversation to have, but you have to do what is in your heart. I admire your loyalty to your dojo and Sensei. I myself have recently talked to my Sensei about my goals of competing and maybe one day turning pro in MMA. My Sensei understood my goals and is willing to help me where he can. Soon I'll be joining a second dojo that will help prepare me for the future challenges in the ring. I am staying at my current dojo. I'll be attending both full time.

Have you talked to the Sensei at the other school yet?

Here's another idea that just came to me. Would your Sensei allow you to create a sparing class that anyone can participate in after the regular classes? You could run it. I know you said that the Friday classes are next to empty, but that could be for other reasons other than students not wanting to spar, it is Friday night and people in general are more tired at the end of the week or they want to go out and party or go to the cottage or something. Would you be allowed to try it for two weeks and see what kind of turnout you get during the regular classes (Monday to Thursday)?

On a side note. It is a skill to kick, to punch, to throw, to grapple, etc., but it is also a skill to learn how to use the techniques in a real (but controlled and safe) situation. If the students get into a fight outside the dojo then they may not have the sparing experience to actually use the techniques they are taught and get seriously hurt, that will also look bad on the dojo.

Fight the system with the system and not against the system

Yeah, tough decisions indeed.

My worry about talking to him about it is that he is well aware of my desire to compete again, and the bottom line is no matter how kindly I put it, I'd basically be threatening to leave if I don't get what I want. I think he is walking a tightrope trying to give us a bit of sparring now and then (Fridays only, mind) while keeping the majority of students that hate sparring happy. You are right that some students don't show up on Fridays for other reasons, and there is more than one adult that expressed the same concern I had - that they show for Friday classes but nobody else does. I think it would be more appropriate for him to just throw sparring in unannounced on a regular night, PLUS make sparring required in gradings again (we used to spar multiple opponents in gradings for crying out loud) but then there are the students who don't bring the appropriate equipment if they aren't expecting to spar. :roll:

My husband suggested the same thing you did - offer to teach the sparring class. While that would possibly give me more sparring opportunities, it won't give me someone with a practiced eye that can give me pointers to improve my technique, fix telegraphing that is starting to develop, etc. Of course, at least I'd get some sparring in, which is KEY. :D I also considered visiting a local Kickboxing place but they fight differently than we do, so I'd likely mess up my karate fighting unless I no longer fought light to moderate contact. I've considered that (fighting full contact), too, which concerns my husband, though at 30 if I'm going to do that I'd better do it soon.

I haven't talked to either Sensei yet. As I mentioned in my first post, we are hosting a shiai this weekend. The other Sensei will be attending our shiai but it isn't really an appropriate place or time to discuss jumping ship. I will mention to my Sensei the next time I see him (probably tonight if he's there), why there are so few adult competitors from our club - those that don't want to compete won't anyway, but those that do are so unpracticed at it they are afraid of embarrassment. If he has any interest in reviving interest in competition amongst the adults then things have to change, and fast. He has several trophies proudly displayed there (mine and another student's), but there won't be more at this rate.

-Lao-Tse

When you do look at the bottom line, you are threatening to leave but its not because your not getting what you want, its because he is not providing one of the biggest and (what I feel is) the most important lessens of the martial arts, sparring. Its not like your asking for a new sauna or something like that. Your looking to fully round your martial arts training and a big piece is missing. Its like going to driver's ed and learning all the theory of driving a car but not actually getting in one.

I feel that sparring is important to everyone for the same basic reason, it builds confidence. I use to be an extremely shy and quiet boy way back when I first started out in TKD in the late 80's. I was so nervous about sparring that I felt sick to my stomach about it, and I hated it... at first. After a little while I got use to it, in fact I had a great defense as I was able to block almost everything coming at me but I was still nervous about hitting a person. Eventually I got use to that and I became more confident in myself both in and out of the dojo. My Sensei at that time pushed me into sparring and I'm forever glad he did. My basic point here is that sparring is great for building self-confidence.

I'm in the same frame of mind as you, sparring should be a part of the regular class and it definitely should be in the belt testing. Mind if I make a suggestion to your training? As I get closer to my testing I always video tape myself and watch it. I have found that doing that has been the best way for me to see what I'm doing and work on my technique. If you have access to a video camera and a tripod (if you don't have anyone to hold the camera for you), give it a try and watch the tape of yourself, it works great for me.

That's the key, does your Sensei have any interest in reviving competition amongst the adults? If he does not, then he just gave you the answer to what you may have to do.

Good luck with your upcoming conversation with your Sensei, and I hope the event this weekend goes well. Let us know how things turn out.

Fight the system with the system and not against the system

p.s.

Is there any other schools around that your martial art?

Umm...yes, but there are reasons that that would prevent my joining that particular club - best not dredged up.

-Lao-Tse

You may think this is a bad thing, but by NOT training for competition, you are getting more of what karate was really like, rather than sport karate. Oh yes, please no one take offense, but i must comment that in my opinion tournaments are BS.

You may think this is a bad thing, but by NOT training for competition, you are getting more of what karate was really like, rather than sport karate. Oh yes, please no one take offense, but i must comment that in my opinion tournaments are BS.
But there should be some sort of sparring, regardless of whether it is for sport or not (which by the way in my case is light to medium contact).

Update on last night: Sensei wasn't there. Sempai was, and 2 students other than myself. The four of us practiced kata, kumite, grappling and weapons. It was an all around good workout that left me in an excellent mood all evening :D The brown belt lady I spar when we're both there on Fridays was there. She won't be there much through the summer because she goes to the cottage on Friday nights. She only trains weekdays at lunch so Fridays are normally my only chance to see her - at least until I return to work the end of July - she comes a lot during the winter, though. Guess what? She IS competing Sunday! :D

With 4 of us having a great old time sparring and grappling Friday, plus at least 2 more people in the adult class that I KNOW enjoy sparring, that is HALF the adult class; maybe Sensei will do something if I bring it up after all.

Another thing I can do is talk to that other black belt that didn't want to make an ass of himself and see if we can spar a bit after class sometimes; between classes we've done a bit of impromptu practice that helps sparring (he put on full pads and I had to try to get past his defenses with hard hand strikes - I did so rather easily, but then again he wasn't hitting back and another time we just did light quick sparring with no equipment while we were waiting).

Ultimately I guess I just need a sparring coach, with the practice that goes with it; I do enjoy what we do in class, though feel the class could be working harder and pushed a bit more - I'd much rather drag myself out of class than hardly break a sweat.

-Lao-Tse

i'm really surprised that so many of the students at your school can get away with not sparring. for us, it's a testing requirement - you have to demonstrate an appropriate level of sparring skill to receive your next belt. after all, what's the point of learning techniques if you don't learn how to use them? it sounds like your sensai is letting the students direct the curriculum because he's afraid of losing them. while i think it's important to understand what students want, it is the responsibility of the instructor to teach them what they need to know even if they don't "like" it. could you imagine what our schools would be like if teachers decided that "hey! students don't seem to like math. let's stop teaching it!"? :)

also, you're probably running into a vicious circle type of situation, because you have to practice sparring to be comfortable with it. if your sensai isn't making students spar, they're not getting the practice that would make them comfortable. if the students at your school had more practice, they might find that they LOVE to spar. but if no one makes them get in and do it, they'll never leave their comfort zones willingly. do you see what i mean?