• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I little advice please???

Hi everyone. I just moved from Norwalk, CT to Vegas, and I'm having a little trouble adjusting to my new dojo. I was like within a year of my blackbelt back in Norwalk, but here I feel like I'm starting from scratch, like everything I've learned over the past 4 years has just went out the window because, as with all schools I do realize, this is totally different then what I'm used too. Does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Anyone have any advice from past experience? Mike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes. I started in Tang Soo Do. Then I moved and went to WTF TKD. I started over at white belt. Then I switched schools again (TKD MDK). I was allowed to keep my rank, but I quickly found out that this school teaches more than the last two put together. I down-graded from 4th gup/kyu to 6th. It did get overwhelming trying to learn all the stuff that this school did, and re-learn some stuff (like forms, ect).

Are they letting you keep your old rank? If so, and you feel overwhelmed like I did, there is no shame in down grading and learning right, instead of rushing (crash course type thing). I would have went back to white belt, but I was told not to go down that far, because of my experience (for safety reasons).

How does your new school defer from the old one? Different styles?

Laurie F

I'm going to move this to General MA, but that's a temporary move until I can find out what style this is referring to.

circa02: Are they forcing you to start back at white belt? I can see how that would be very discouraging. However, try not to feel like you trained for four years in your previous art for "nothing". Try to apply what you were learning at your new dojo. There are many parallels and similarities between different arts. Try to find them, and use them to your advantage at your new dojo.

If you're really unhappy with losing your rank, try to find another dojo that will let you keep it (there are many that might)! After all, you're in Vegas...there's got to be tons of dojos over there. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

If you are starting over, don't get discouraged. I been there. It's not as bad as it seems. I was mad when the WTF TKD started me over, because it was a sport school. But at this school, I was allowed to keep my rank, and I WANTED to go back to white belt (but was only allowed to go back to green gggrrrrr) LOL. I guess it depends on how you feel about your school.

Laurie F

Well I CAN wear my previous belt, but I AM new to this art do I really am a white belt, but that doesn't surprise me or bother me really. It's just the feeling like I don't know what's going on. True there are always similarities, but since my previous dojo was my only experience, I don't have much of a point of reference. Like everything here has a different name ect... Thanks everyone for your advice. Mike

I think with your experience you will catch on quickly. Good Luck :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

circa02,

It sounds like you are in the same situation I am/was in. In my new school, I still feel like an idiot. Eventhough I had two and a half years of training before, I still know nothing. It was a weird feeling. Then I realized how much I had to catch up on and I was like "WHAT?!?!?!?" I down-graded real quick LOL.

I'm not trying to talk you into down grading, but if you feel over whelmed, it's better to down grade and learn stuff slowly and correctly, than it is to try to rush (catch up) and half learn stuff.

It's all about how you feel about what you need to learn (or re-learn for that matter).

Laurie F