• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kata creation

fireka

i was just thinking, wouldnt it be fun to create your own kata? maybe it wouldnt work as a good application, but then again if you study human motions and reactions well enough maybe you might have something. has anyone here tried this?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you watch the karate things on ESPN2 you see a lot of new kata. Basically fancy tumbling. LOL. We have developed some weapons kata out of our tradtional Shotokan kata just for fun. There is no reason why anyone of us can not make us a kata. However the kata you see in the traditional arts have lasted the test of time and must be pretty useful or they would not still be taught. So remember its fun to play arround but don't become god in you creations.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In my old school, you are required to make up your own kata for 2nd degree and your own weapons kata for 3rd degree. They are both musical forms and must incorporate both traditional and modern techniques. Flow was the key in both.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Sai: I would be interested in seeing a video (if you have one) or a description of how you do the kata with a Bo. How close can you stick (no pun intended :)) to the original kata?

Also how usable are the techniques that you have found?

Has anyone else done this to Shotokan katas with weapons, if so I would be interested in hearing about it (just started Kobu-Jutsu where I am aiming to see how Karate can use weapons as well as having fun with sticks and stuff :D).

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Fireka, I have!

In Balticum, we have "the best created kata" competitions. I have won first place at one of those competitions. :)

We use to do this competition at our Karate Club camps and in Latvia.

Kill is love

The blocks are basically either a vertical block with the bo in front of you or an over head block thrusting the bo up in the place of the standard headblocks. Punches turn into straight thrusts. The collarbone strikes are done like a standard overhead strike with a bo.

The move that stumped me for a while was the first collarbone strike moving to the left. I do that with a sliding hand change bringing the bo like an overhead strike but directed to the side.

Fireka, I have!

In Balticum, we have "the best created kata" competitions. I have won first place at one of those competitions. :)

We use to do this competition at our Karate Club camps and in Latvia.

I would love to hear more about your kata, do you have a link?