• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your own kata bunkai

SaiFightsMS

I agree with the comments from Tom above about the judo throw (nage waza means throwing techniques I seem to remember - could be wrong tho), in my mind this seems to follow for any spinning technique in kata assuming you can get a grip of the attacker. This can be modified to a strangle-takedown rather than a hip throw... I've demo'd this against an attacker in Heian Nidan - done after the nukite and kiai. :karate:

Something that most new starters seem to miss, is the fact that most kata moves done forwards in the kata really work better when done backwards in bunkai/oyo. :( There are a whole set of WSKI (Shurai / Kase) katas based on the Shotokan set, where you spin away with the blocks and then step in to attack which make the ideas flow better with a view to working out bunkai.

A good book on the Tekki kata is by Elmar Schmeisser (author of Advanced Karate-do which is another good but unbelievably complicated read) :o

I would be interested to see someone provide a viable use for the spin in Heian / Pinnan Sandan after the first kiai (before the three elbow strikes mentioned above). I am not sure that this could be used to throw (even if done at full speed) or if it is effective to use to lock an arm... any ideas people? :)

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The step and flow techniques is commonly reffered to as Tai-sabaki and is used alot in jiu-jitsu and Aikido. My recent studies in jiu-jitsu have improved my understand of karate, fist by using taisabaki in defenses and by showing me armlocks and such that could be found in kata.

As for the twist you desribed reketsu, definately o-goshi. The punch motion with the ki-ai can also be interpreted as a grab at the opponets waist under the arm (used in the throw). The twist then pull them forwards and your low stance (forget name) put you beneath their centre of gravity. The heels together posture is important in this throw. Your hands on hips shows that your grabbing arm pulls them arose ytour him, while your other arm pulls their free arm of clothing around to twist them. The standing motion powers them from the floor and makes the drop higher (not reccomened on fat people). The arms lock I already decsribed as the elbow block can be used as a finish.

Hope I made that clear its hard to describe without a picture. You can also find the tai otoshi throw in this kata.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Cheers, I think I can picture it...

I guess I may need to attend a few jujutsu classes to see how the throws are done! :idea:

When you mention low stance, I assume you are modifying the 'look' of the move, as we do the hands-on-hips move in heisoku dachi (feet together / attention stance)?!

Can you describe the "tai otoshi" throw please so I can see where in the kata it appears. :)

I now need to consider tae-sabaki having a more advanced meaning than the simplistic "body-evasion" for evading punches etc and let the ideas flow :D

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I don't know the name of the stance but we start low, with knees bent but heels together kind of charlie chaplin style. Then rise to a full stand before dropping into the elbow blocks. The heels together is impotant for o-goshi as if the opponents slips and your legs arnet together but splayed, he could land on your knee. owch!

Tai otoshi as we practise it is a fash and flowing throw which whips the opponents in a circle about you. The actual move in the kata is kind of sketchy as there are flaws.

After the nukite strike you put your hand behind your back and step right around to perform a gedan barai. However my teacher always stressed that when you step around it was important to land in line with where you already were, a linear movement. This is also what my JJ sensei says about tai-otoshi so thats was made it twig.

After the nukite strike, imagine grabbing the opponent with the striking arm at the shoulder and gap his wrist/sleeve with the other arm. Pull him close (but not to close, about an elbows worth of space between your chests) and step round as in the kata. This is where my bunkai is flawed as in the kata you are in horse stance but in the throw it is better to be in zenkutsu-datchi. Your step shoould pull him around you, but your out strecthed back leg (in the zenkutsu datchi) stop his own legs and you pull him over dropping him with a snap (as emphasised by the gedan barai). Tai otoshi means body drop, you should find an illustration somewhere on the net but it is likely to be the shorter judo version. But should help you picture it.

When practising the throw, lift you heel up and pointing to the ceiling, with your knees turned downwards to avoid snapping it if he lands on it. This should come with practise and a large pivot of the hip in the throw.

The kata then gives you an alternative throw for similar occasions (o-goshi). Hope you can picture this to.

And where in the NW of England fo you the association I practise Jiu-jitsu with (The Jitsu Foundation) arer all over the UK, particularly at the universities.

Hope that helps. And anyone else got any more Pinan Bunkai.

Perhaps the arm and shoulder lock at the start of Pinan Shodan?

The second last move of the kata (from a front punch in left zenkutsu datchi, you pull the back leg up and bend the punch into a kimae, then step behind with your left leg, drop your body and twist around and stand back up performing an elbow strike and punch over the shoulder) works well as a throw.

Is there a judo/jujitsu technique that it resembles?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Yes someone already mentioned that one. It is a perfect hip or shoulder throw.

Either a modified tsuri komi goshi, or kotomo/ippon seoi nage.

Any for pinan godan, that ones kind of confusing

Pyung Ahn Oh Dan...(godan)

The second and fourth counts could be a armbar/hammerlock. Allow the reverse punch to enter and soften them a little.

The low spear hand with the pull back I always thought of as going low, and grabbing the back of the leg. As you pull the leg back, the other hand pushes forward on the front of the leg. Practical? Not as much as blocking a strike and grabbing the ball and tackle.. :)

Pyung Ahn Sa Dan (Yondan) has a great lapel choke (Nami-juji-jime?) pulling them into a front kick and a flurry of punches.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

If by the low spear hand you mean the last moves of the godan kata, I know something similar.

Its a throw called suki nage (scoop throw) The low high hand seizes hold of the lapels or some other convenient grip depending on the while the low hand grabs the back of the thigh (or depending on the amount of pain you want to cause, the groin)

You then drop your height and push down with the high hand on pull up with the low hand, scooping the guy up and dropping him like a sack of spuds. A thows that works well close in, especially if you can duck and shoot in beneath a guys punch combos (who says karate doesn't have good takedowns?) but it hard to avoid being pulled down to.

The drop to the lower stance emphasises dropping your weight as you thow, to slam him down. Try not to just pick him up and let him drop wrestler style.

What do you think?

While we're Pinan Godan I got another one, just remembered it.

First three movements.

At some point in the fight grab the opponents hand (eg after blocking a punch) perform a hikite and step to the outside flanks. In neko ashi dachi (a short defesive stance) grab a handful of their hair and yank on it using the soto uke motion (or uchi uke depending on your style, y'know the block in the 1st movement).

This will open a line to jaw for you to slam in the hook punch (2nd move).

Then pulling them by the hair lower them to your waist and bring the arm across to wham on the choke. 10 seconds later and night night.

Howz that one?