• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your own kata bunkai

SaiFightsMS

Naihanchi.

Hm I usually think of Naihanchi as a close combat kata, best for clinch fights with lots of pulling and pushing and grabbing etc.

This is because Naihanchi contains a lot of close combat strikes such as elbows and uppercuts.

Also the stance is very similar to the Wing Chun training stance (a style with which karate has a shared ancestry and is famous for close combat fights, but this is more evident in Teisho). The stance provide a rooted base making it harder to be unblanced and the side steps are a tactical move to put the enemy of balance as in such clinches (excluding Muay Thai and other trained fighters) there is alot of linear pushing and such so sidestep would be clever.

Also Choki Motobu said that this kata is all you need to be a good fighter in realistic brawl, and that sort of clinches are common in bar room brawls.

The bunkai I use from this kata are based on this idea, and I'll see if I can give an example later, but I think I've written enough for now. :)

Just my theories on the kata, my opinion, but it seem feasible and works in sparring (and on the street but I don't really want to talk about that).

By the way is this just about Naihanchi as ever since I started Traditional Jiu-jitsu I've been seeing alot of throws and locks in kata (tai otoshi in Sandan, etc), whats everyone else think.

And has anyone thought of a bunkai for the weird bit in Matsu kaze. :(

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got me... but instead of posting in this thread, it's all "why does karate suck so badly" or "if i think karate sucks so badly, why do i spend so much time on karateforums.com?"

for everyone that says kata are the heart and soul of training, why can i count the individuals who've posted a bunkai in this thread on one hand?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Pinan Sandan

The three elbow blocks in shiko-datchi with the hands on the hips followed by punches:

At first glanse, these moves seem absolutely worthless. If you were fighting someone in a ring and you had perfect health, you would never perform a block like this. So are they worthless?

Hardly. Like much of karate they are meant for less than ideal conditions.

For instance, you are walking down the street with your hands in your coat pockets, and someone runs up to you and throws a punch to your torso. You use this blocking technique, pull your fist out and punch the attacker.

Or you are carrying groceries to your car. Same thing, you use your elbow or arm to block because your hands are essentially tied down.

You break your hand, wrist or lower arm in a fight. You can still use this blocking technique.

And the great thing about these blocks is you don't have to use the elbow sticking out like in the kata. When performing the techniques correctly, the hips should be turning, not just the arms. So if your arm is rendered entirely useless for whatever reason, you could still use this technique to reduce the impact of a body punch by blocking with the torso. Instead of driving itself into you, the punch rolls off slightly by your turning motion (provided you time it right). This would work best if you were facing your opponent head on, then turned sideways as the punch was landing.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Okay same movements. Although in my style they are done in kiba-datchi.

Horse stances are the kata way of telling you that the force of the movement should be projected downwards. Like in an armlock?

IF your wrist is grabbed or you can grab the opponents arm from a puch (any movement that has you grabbing the opponents arms), twist your body as you pull the arm to your rear hip, twisting it so their arms points up. With your front arm wrapped over the arm and your extended elbow and forearm across their elbow joint you drop your weight and apply pressure on the elbow as you pull the capturedcwrist upwards, bending the arm painfully. With enough force and a jerking motion you can snap the arm.

Then a hammerfist to finish or to whack the guy with if the lock fails.

A useful technique (but the lock need practise if to be applied quickly, even though it is quite a simple technique) and one that is not reliant on 'the opponent does this' or 'i'm doing that'.

Well hope you like it. What do you all think?

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

after that sequence, for the next group of techniques:

left center punch loosens up the fella, and grabs a hold on something... jacket, shirt, whatever. right foot slides up to get you nice and close to the attacker. a knee shot or stomp is a happy bonus on the way.

As you turn 180, the right hand reaches behind the attacker, and turns the turn into a basic judo throw (don't know the terminology, just how to do the move)

I'm sure the last move could be used for some sort of painful arm manipulation, but it's late and my roommate/uke has gone to bed for the evening... as i should.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.