• 8 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have never hurd my own philosophy on fighting written in such elliqent terms and for this i must thank you.

very similer to the philosophy of jeet kune do

Fist visible Strike invisible

i have never hurd my own philosophy on fighting written in such elliqent terms and for this i must thank you.

very similer to the philosophy of jeet kune do

I made this same connection :)

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I'm confused...

I read the original article by Martial_Artist and the subsequent posts by Killer Miller, and I think that they're both right. Your opponent is human with physical limitations: the same bones, muscles, organs, and vulnerabilities.

However, with training, your opponent will function further from his physical boundary. The boundary, although it exists, can become less of an issue.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

"Howard Johnson's right that Gabby Johnson's right." (Sorry, that Blazing Saddles quote just popped right in my head.)

I think the point of this excellent article is very clear. I also don't think there is as much misunderstanding going on here as some have said. People are human and comprised of the same parts. Some are more trained or in better shape or have stronger minds than others. But, unless you are not from here - like Klingon or something - we are all human.

When I have fought, I have been aware of the humanity of the other person. Some can be reasoned with. Others cannot. The trick once fighting begins is to use your human mind, body, and spirit to defeat the other person's human mind, body, and spirit. The training is a detail - an important detail that likely will govern the outcome, but a detail nonetheless.

Humans have the same pressure points, weaknesses, pain centers, need for oxygen, etc. That was MA's point. If you hit a knee, it will hurt, may break, may cripple someone.

The biggest and strongest football players still cannot take overwhelming contact on weak parts of the human anatomy. It's human physiology. Remember Bo Jackson? One hit the wrong way on his hip during a tackle, and his career was over.

Somewhere in here, probably in a Muay Thai thread, is a link to video of a good professional MT fighter breaking his own leg against the shin block of another fighter. Pure physics.

I think this was a great article. I'd love to see more.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.