• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A brief history

I would like to reiterate that I wasn't trying to be historically completely correct. After more research some of these are not considered complete facts but are generally accepted theories. I was trying to show how cultures can become intwined. Tatashi Saito a reknown Japanese historian has many great books that shows some excellent view on Ancient Korea as well as Ancient Japan. I think he has a wealth of information. If I have gotten something wrong or something has been disproven recently than feel free to make corrections after all I'm only human and I may have missed some stuff. Also word of advice when doing research web-sites are not great sources, because a good many are considered to be biased also after doin research if some one corrects you than don't be mad and say their wrong instead embrace it and look into their views and thoughts.

A good source also is the Korean Yi Dynasty Historical records from1392-1910. As for the things I wrote as fact well as I have stated some of them are not facts but are Theories that have become widely accepted and the reason I am saying this is because I did some research and people showing me web-sites and books that say other wise on some of the things I wrote. See people I embrace other peoples view and than do research to see if I am wrong or if there is enough evidence were I cannot claim something as fact.

When you aren't trying to be historically or completely correct, it is rather misleading to use the word FACT: over and over again, followed by unsupported statement after unsupported statement. :roll:

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
well thats because i thaught they were facts lol shows how human I really am :roll: Why couldn't I be born an alien lol :lol: Any ways I probably should have done more research

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

Sources Range from Martial Magazine (A periodica) July 2003 issue.

Source: Ancient Text from Silla Dynasty (Can be found in Historical records)

Source: Writings from Minomota Shogunte Also on Historical Records.

Source: History Of Korea

Source: History of Japan

Source: Tae Kwon Do Kyong Myong Lee (though in my opinion it is not accurate)

There are more and im trying to get the web-sites, so be patient

This is not a valid source list.

A valid source list includes: Author, Title, Periodical Title (if Periodical Article), Publication Date, Publisher.

Academic sources I have found tend to refute your claims.

Robert Dohrerend," Toward an Accurate History of Taekwondo." Dragon Times, Fall 2002, Winter 2003, Spring 2003. Dragon-Tsunami. Los Angeles, 2002,2003.

"Muye Doboi Tongje" (tr. Kim), Turtle Press, Vermont. 2000.

Harry Cook, "Shotokan: A Precise History." Dragon-Tsunami, Los Angeles, CA, 2001. 84-85, 272,292-293.

Journal of Asian Martial Arts:

Vol. 9:1 -- Henning, Stanley E. "Traditional Korean martial arts"

Vol. 6:4 -- Ouyang, Y. "The elevation of taekkyon from folk game to martial art"

Vol. 6:1 -- Burdick, D. "People & events in taekwondo's formative years"

Vol. 4:2 -- Della Pia, J. "Native Korean sword techniques described in the mu yae do bo tong ji"

Vol. 3:2 -- Della Pia, J. "Korea's mu yei do bo tong ji"

Vol. 3:1 -- Pieter, W. "Notes on the historical development of Korean martial sports--An addendum to Young's history and development of tae kyon"

Vol. 2:2 -- Young, R. "The history and development of tae kyon"

These scholarly sources call most of your assertions into question. When one writes an historical piece, or indeed makes assertions based on historical evidence, it behooves one to list sources so that those reading the study may view these same sources and more fully understand the chain of reasoning that led to its author's conclusions.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Let us take this thread as an example of how to post supported reasearched facts and how not too. Please remember that when you present something as a researched hard fact you should cite the reference that it came from.

What MA's coming from Korea to Japan, really? Just kidding. I could be wrong, but didn't a lot of Japanese MA's come from China through Korea? It's not hard to believe, besides didn't most Asian MA's originate from China? I'm not a history buff and I don't really dwell on historical accuracy, if there is such a thing. I do find history very interesting though.

Give the guy a break it's not a court of law, people express themselves differently. Simantics, simantics, simantics, who cares? :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

who cares? :)

Those of us interested in the origins of the Asian Fighting Arts do care about such things. It is not mere semantics.

Well History is never really 100% true anyway, so getting to caught up in whether it's "true" or not isn't really that important. I agree I find history really interesting, but I'm not gonna die if I find out Budo Taijutsu came from Indonesia. It wouldn't make a difference to me where it came from, it doesn't make it any less of artform. You will always find books on a specific subject that will contradict one another. Concensus is not truth, we can never really know the truth. So I personally don't care about accuracy, I'm more interested in the many points of view there are on a given subject. That's what I meant by I don't care. :)

I appreciate your viewpoint. I don't agree with it, but I appreciate it. :) I'm a graduate student in Medieval History, so lets just say our approraches to the subject differ.

Ceers. Off to practice!

Well, than I can't blame you for having passion for the subject of History. Chao! Off to pratice myself.