• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tournament based tkd

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sorry. I edited my previous posts (I hate when I fat finger). You guys obviously have an email update telling you when it's updated. Sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to flood you.

This is the way I look at it...

"Sport" TKD and "Traditional" TKD are the same arts, each teaching basically the same concepts, basics, and forms, but each having a different emphasis or focus. I come from both "skools" and have experienced both sides of the argument first hand. I started TKD for "the sport" of it and fell in love with the "tradition" of it...blessed by both, accepted by both, motivated by both. Being in the health care profession and having a background in science, I am intrigued by the science of the "sport" and the dynamics that are revealed for each technique that allow me to tweak a bit to be faster or stronger; just like the bunkai of a kata makes you "tingle" when you discover it, it is exciting to know what will make a technique land with more pounds per square inch, or what angle will make it cause more damage to the opponent. Combining this with the grace and beauty of the traditional makes me a better and more effective martial artist... and to be able to pass this knowledge on to others makes it worth all the effort. I am truly grateful to all my teachers (sport and traditional) as every piece of information handed to me is valuable...priceless in fact... and makes me the martial artist that I am.

My advice to you: take in all that you can, use all that you want, pass everything on with the same respect that it was given to you. :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

sounds reasonable to me but i think ITF TKD is the better choice for me. though getting into shape by doing sports is one of my main interests. i dont want to compete that much or something and am nonetheless interested in meditation and the philosophy. thanks anyways :)