• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tournament based tkd

what do you learn in a dojo that mainly teaches TKD in order to make u a good tournament fighter? is there anything bad about it? does it still have something to do with traditional TKD? how about self-defence? do tournament punches/kicks make sense in sd situations? and does this kind of training bring me into a good shape?

many questions - few answers... sry but thanks in advance anyway :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
yes you get in shape, you can learn self defense with it and if you train to do sparring then yes

WTF-TaeKwonDo White belt

Bill Cho's National TKD

I did both sport TKD (WTF) and traditional TKD (MDK). In my opinion, the WTF school only taught sparring related stuff, and forms. I'm not bashing the sport TKD. Some people like it (including my boyfriend), but it's just not my thing.

In my MDK school, we do learn self defense ....joint locks, "come-along" techniques, throws, take-downs, and counter grappling (standing), and grappling (ground fighting). The WTF school I was in didn't teach this stuff.

I do have to say that sport TKD did get me in good shape, and I can spar well :D

Laurie F

The one I was in (the WTF school) was mostly sparring, and forms. No fancy stuff, though. Except they were big on kicking to the head. I got bored with that. That wasn't the reason I started MA.

Some schools may teach both. My school teaches both. We have a special class (friday nights) for sport sparring for those who like that kind of thing.

Laurie F

im in WTF TKD and we have a sparring class, we work on forms and kicks and stuff no grappleing

WTF-TaeKwonDo White belt

Bill Cho's National TKD

Both sport and "traditional" have benefits. Sport TKD is a great workout and can you in great shape. I don't believe sparring itself necessarily translates to good self-defense techniques. However, there's a lot to be said for getting used to taking a punch and giving one. You can learn how to close the gap, look for holes and exploit them. All of those are skills that will benefit you if you ever get into a scrap.

Where I think sport TKD is ineffective for self-defense is that it can breed bad habits. I've seen lots of sport TKD's ignore the leg positions because their not afraid to expose them to sweeps or take downs. They also then to be a lot more focused on speed and getting of a quick shot (which is good), but ignores the true effectiveness of those kicks. As an example, I'm over 6' and 250 lbs. I am not as quick as some of the guys I workout with. They can dance around and score points all day long on me. BUT, if I catch them one time, I can drop them while their kicks do little more than wake me up. Most of the sport TKD situations I've seen they try to match you to people your age, size, experience, etc. However, in a real scenario, a 125 female might have to deal with someone like me (in size that is) and needs to know what will and won't work with me. It might not be the same as what will work for someone else closer to their size.

Whew! Didn't mean to go so long. I only meant to say that I do not believe one is inherently better than the other. They both have points that can help you, it depends on what you need. But, don't blindly follow any one path and believe that it will teach you everything. You can learn something from everyone, even beginners, if you keep your eyes and ears open.