• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has karate lost somthing?

Rich_2k3

you mentioned many qualities which are gained in various ways,not necessarily through karate, if karate teaches u this things(i dont see how can it teach u to love and be loved...) only after 10 years of practice, I have got shorter lessons in life which taught me the above.

I also learned that some things u learn , u first obey your teacher and only later u understand why u did it(1+1=2, ABC...), so I'll be patient :)

Well, I did it to show you it in many different ways.

Right, just be patient. :nod: :karate:

Kill is love

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are supposed to try and make yourself a "better person" everyday for the rest of your life. You should try to avoid hurting others and solving issues with violence

I agree with every word, but why do I need karate for doing this

You don't. Karate (or budo in general) is just one of the vehicles by which one can learn zen. Basically, anything involving long term commitment to hardship, taking responsibility of one's own life plus those of others (in karate you do this by performing deadly techniques on your fellow people and they must trust you and you must trust them to not hurt each other), plus several other similar traits, can be a vehicle of zen. Karate happens to be one we like. You could just go to a buddhist temple too, but they take a differing road to the same goal.

Basically, you want to go to the top of the mountain to enjoy the magnificent view. Most people are accustomed to try to find the shortest or fastest route, wether it is the highway or the mountain train. What zen tries to teach is to take the long route and just start going. Learn and enjoy the trip instead of just focusing on the goal and searching for the fastest way. When you focus on the journey, even though you know it is not the easiest possible, you will learn more about yourself, your travel companions, the country side around you, the climate and the mountain itself. When you finally reach the top, you are much wiser and more knowledgeable person than when you began. And when you look down to see the view, and the mountainside, you notice the people who were searching for the fast track are still down there, searching for they'll never find it. If they find a faster track, they won't take it because they'll figure there's one even faster around the bend. They never reach the goal, nor will they enjoy the search either. If you think of the mountain as a metaphor for your life and the world you have around you, you may understand my point.

This is one of the better threads that I have read on this forum. For me, Karate is what I put into it, a martial arts system that reflects who I am as a person. I also think that here are two levels of Karate. at the first level u build yourself around the system and let it "form/influence you as a karateka. as you progress to the next level u form the karate around you. I find Karate spiritual in the sence that it gives me a break from the everyday stress. Sorry guys I'm just rambling.

Read a book!

you are supposed to try and make yourself a "better person" everyday for the rest of your life. You should try to avoid hurting others and solving issues with violence

You don't. Karate (or budo in general) is just one of the vehicles by which one can learn zen. Basically, anything involving long term commitment to hardship, taking responsibility of one's own life plus those of others (in karate you do this by performing deadly techniques on your fellow people and they must trust you and you must trust them to not hurt each other), plus several other similar traits, can be a vehicle of zen. Karate happens to be one we like. You could just go to a buddhist temple too, but they take a differing road to the same goal.

Basically, you want to go to the top of the mountain to enjoy the magnificent view. Most people are accustomed to try to find the shortest or fastest route, wether it is the highway or the mountain train. What zen tries to teach is to take the long route and just start going. Learn and enjoy the trip instead of just focusing on the goal and searching for the fastest way. When you focus on the journey, even though you know it is not the easiest possible, you will learn more about yourself, your travel companions, the country side around you, the climate and the mountain itself. When you finally reach the top, you are much wiser and more knowledgeable person than when you began. And when you look down to see the view, and the mountainside, you notice the people who were searching for the fast track are still down there, searching for they'll never find it. If they find a faster track, they won't take it because they'll figure there's one even faster around the bend. They never reach the goal, nor will they enjoy the search either. If you think of the mountain as a metaphor for your life and the world you have around you, you may understand my point.

.........deep

that was AMAZING were the hell did you hear/learn that!? :o

Danuall san- "Up you'res OLD man, wax your own DAM cars, im goin out ta get LAID"

-Scott

https://www.worldkarate.net

that was AMAZING were the hell did you hear/learn that!? :o

:lol:

After reading too many books on zen, I can nowadays only speak using metaphors! :D

PS. How many zen masters does it take to change a lightbulb?

I duno, how many zen masters does it take to change a light bulb?

hey, can you recomend any good zen books? (something that i would beable to find in a libary or sumthin)

Danuall san- "Up you'res OLD man, wax your own DAM cars, im goin out ta get LAID"

-Scott

https://www.worldkarate.net

Yes, that is wise! That is what I tried to explain. :)

I read some martial arts books too, I'm reading my favourite right now:

"Beyond the known", anyone knows about that book? Well, if not, then I recommend you should read that! And of course, Zen is a wise thing too. :wink:

Kill is love

I'm mean, nowadays in martial arts (i dont just mean karate) martial artists seem to have no discepline or honour, some do but most just learn how to defend themselves and maybe compete in a few tournments. It saddens me to this, when you compare it to hundreds of years ago when the samari were around, everything was about self enlightenment and honour, the traditions seems to have gone. I suppose its just because of the world we live in, people are different now....

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I'm mean, nowadays in martial arts (i dont just mean karate) martial artists seem to have no discepline or honour, some do but most just learn how to defend themselves and maybe compete in a few tournments. It saddens me to this, when you compare it to hundreds of years ago when the samari were around, everything was about self enlightenment and honour, the traditions seems to have gone. I suppose its just because of the world we live in, people are different now....

You're right! And I have noticed that too, it really is sad. I am that kind of person, who tries to remain honour and such, so that has made me sad too, that people have lost that. I compete pretty often too, but that's only because I want to improve my karate and see how much I have learnt.. :) not for winning something.

Kill is love