• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My third class.

NFleischman

Took my third class today in Shito-Ryu, it was a great workout and I did have fun. However, I feel like the sensei was becoming frustrated with me, I occasionaly was using the wrong arm or doing a wrong block. Overall it was a good experience though. For some reason I have a problem on the Block, stance then back to horse stance combos. Maybe its because i'm watching my sensei in the mirror lol.... :roll:

Yeah but it was fun I learned Ki-On-Kata-Eesh or something like that LOL I know it is probably tottaly wrong spelling. Just wanted to let you guys know, or maybe someone has some tips?

Shito-Ryu Karate

3 Months Active Training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It can be confusing when you're learning a new combo, and everybody in the room is doing it wrong. :-? :lol:

Just keep at it and everything will come into place. Practice on your own too. That really helps if watching other people messes you up.

Mirror image can be a real trick to overcome. We had a custom of when working with kids the sempai would do "mirror image" so that when facing the kids they had the same hand and foot forward they did. In the beginning everyone has trouble at times with the right arm or the right leg in front.

If it makes you feel better, the frustration you've noticed from your sensei may not be directed at you. Usually when I get frustrated teaching, it's more at myself wondering what I am doing wrong. What could I be doing to help this person magically get it? And of course, more often than not there is no quick fix and we just need to keep practicing over and over :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

In my opinion, your third class is too early to be worrying about combinations. Each separate technique is important in its own right, and if I'm not mistaken you just learned the techniques you're combining so give yourself a break :D Teaching combinations from the beginning has its own benefits, though, since it helps you later; you'll be used to always using your techniques in combinations - even better if they mix up the combinations and don't always use the same ones. Follow along as best you can, and you WON'T be as fast as the others - especially without sacrificing good form.

You may be having problems with the combination of the two stances because there is something wrong with the length and or width of the stances you're doing.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

WOW! Just like me! I remember my training in Sweden, I practised shito-ryu, and the first kata I learned was: Kihon Kata Ichi. The kata you learned!

Oh... I miss that Dojo sooo much! :(

Kill is love