• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why you chose your martial art

Alright... just out of curiousity I'd like to ask why some of you chose martial arts and why you chose your particular style.

For instance, did you choose martial arts because this anus at school kept on sticking your head on the toilet? Or were you just bored? Or what?

Why I'm going to get into martial arts is because 1. I like to take advantage of all potential I have, for instance, I can't stand knowing that I have the potential to.. let's say.. throw 10 punches in under 2 seconds (I don't even know if thats possible, just an example) and not taking advantate of it. Also... I have nothing better to do. :)

Yeah and don't forget to add why you chose your particular style! That's what I'm most interested in.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd always wanted to study martial arts since I'd been little. My dad's friend was a martial artist and I was in constant awe of him, but my mum didn't want me to get hurt so she didn't let me start.

Finally, when I realised I was old enough to have a bit of freedom, and that my mum wouldn't mind so much if I started martial arts anymore, I went to get started.

I'd initially wanted to learn TKD, but couldn't find a club in my area. I found a Shotokan karate club, though, and on advice of a friend online who studied martial arts, decided to take it.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

My son wanted to take lesson and I figured I take him around to a few place and sit in on the lessons to get an idea of what he was learning and a sense of the character of the people teaching him. Well I was quickly bit by the MA bug. I became very interested in the physics, body dynamics and the mental aspects of martial arts and self-defense.

It's been nine years since that first class. Now, in addition to my continued interest in the things mentioned above, there is the added very interesting and challenging aspects of learning to teach martial arts to people with differing abilities (both physical, mental and emotional).

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

When I first started it was just for fun. After many years of study, it changed. I realized the reason I study Martial Arts is that it's so much fun. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it at all, I don't care about the defensive aspect of it anymore. Although that is a plus. It's really fascinating to me, especially the grappling and locks, fun!!!!!!

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I got into martial arts recently because I needed to do something to get in better shape, and working out at the gym is not interesting enough to keep me coming back. I always wanted to learn some kind of martial art too. So I got into MAs primarily for the workout, but also for the self defense and fun factor too.

I tried several different styles and found that the quality of teaching and level of workout I received varied wildly from school to school, even within the same art. With so many schools to choose from, I thought finding one in my area of town would be easy, but it was not. I ended up having to completely discard driving distance as one of my criteria in order to find a place that worked for me. After lots of research and watching classes and trying classes I chose Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing). The workout is unmatched in my town. The self defense aspect (rather than the sport aspect) is highly stressed and in the more experienced students appears to be frighteningly effective. I don't have to learn any katas (there aren't any in Muay Thai). Not that there is anything wrong with learning katas, I personally just don't like the increased mental requirement of remembering all the moves of the katas after I have had a 10 or 11 hour work day, I just want to go pound something :D. Although the drive is a bit farther than I'd have preferred, the price is right, and I am not legally bound by a contract.

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

GreenDragon I feel the same way about the gym and that was also a factor for me to do MA's. Sounds like your enjoying Muy Thai, that's great. I also found weight training at home was more enjoyable to me, than going to a health spa or gym.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to do some form of martial art when I was young I did TKD and it was cool, but I had to move :( so that ended that. Well abouts 8 years later I decided to get back into it, there are only 2 martial arts to learn in my town, shotokan and kickboxing. I wanted to do karate more because I figured a karate person could kick a kickboxers butt, but my dad was friends with the kickboxing instructor and my mom told me the class only had 3 students so I figured I would get into shape for a month then do karate. Well I got in there and was extremely impressed by some of the more experinced students, then I found out they had only been there a year and I was in total awe. To make a long story short I stayed and never regretted it.

One of my best friends growing up took karate and we'd always wrestle, and he usually won. When I turned eleven and finished swimming lessons I was allowed to start.

Because that friend's dad was the head of the club, I got karate for free in exchange for my parents driving the friend to and from class.

He eventually quit to focus on drumming, and I'm still in it after 7 years, getting ready to go for my Shodan in August.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate