• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What have you gain from your Karate training.

Guitar_lover

Nope. He's only two. He studies sidewalk chalk, bubbles, sandbox, slide, swing, and chase the ball.

He won't study karate unless he requests, and if he decides to drop it, no problems here. I want him in a team sport where he will learn social skills, not an individual activity that focuses on the self almost exclusively.

I'm not too keen on getting my kids into karate either. I also study judo/jiu jitsu and we all roll, my son is only 5 but wants to start wrestling. I think if he keeps up the interest, next year (when he is 6 which is the age to start) I will let him.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me martial arts has proved itself to be a better alternative than just running and lifting weights, or just sitting at home watching tv or whatever. My general fitness level is much better now when I have a yelling instructor that makes me keep my pace up. I sleep better and have fewer stressrelated problems. I also know how to count to ten in japanese ...and it is much cheaper than the health clubs.

Karate isn't an alternative for weight training and working out. If anything, keeping up a good workout routing outside of your karate training will make you a much better martial artist.

Karate (and most other MA's) is a physical activity...I sweat a lot when I do it, three times a week. For the sheer physicality of it, I think it can be somewhat compared with aerobics or dancing... I'll probably be a better martial artist with a running/lifting routine as you said, but since I am not interested in competing, I won't use the remaining evenings of the week on training.

Karate (and most other MA's) is a physical activity...I sweat a lot when I do it, three times a week. For the sheer physicality of it, I think it can be somewhat compared with aerobics or dancing... I'll probably be a better martial artist with a running/lifting routine as you said, but since I am not interested in competing, I won't use the remaining evenings of the week on training

It can be a very good workout, yes. But to think that it's a replacement for strength / resistance and cardio training is a mistake. If you want to become a better martial artist with better strength, speed, and stamina, get to the gym. Of course, you don't have to go to the gym. You also don't have to train in karate three times a week.

See where I'm going with this?

Well, I can only speak from my own experience, and when I took up MA (jujutsu/grappling...now karate) instead of running and lifting weights my overall fitness level improved a lot. The only rational reason for this, is that MA three times a week gives me a better total workout than anything else I've done before. I haven't lifted anything in the last couple of years, and I have muscles all over, I've lost weight, my back problems are more or less gone, my blood cholesterol level went down dramatically in a year...if I had more time I know I would be a better martial artist if I did interval running, core training exercises, plyometrics..etc...but there is no way I am going back to the old health club and 5 k's run again...;-)...but that's just me, everyone must find their own path...

i agree with karatekid1975 andGuitar_lover i have learned self control and i have great confidence

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

I gain the opportunity to leave the house three times a week and get away from my wife. :D

But seriously, it gives me motivation to get out and get physical. I was never much for other sports such as basketball or soccer. Aside from karate, I live a fairly sedentiary lifestyle as a computer programmer. My karate school is very liberal, so it doesn't preach perfection of character or any other romantic, philosophical garbage with the training. We receive our share of riducule for our sacriligious ways from other schools, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

One thing that I've gained is that I seek truth in the mind and honesty in the heart, both from myself and from those I associate with. I feel that too many people walk around in a clouded haze in their lives. Sometimes honesty and truth in every aspect of your life can be painful, but in the long run it is for the best.

*insert wooden flute music here*

"Be of pure mind and of pure heart...."

I gain the opportunity to leave the house three times a week and get away from my wife. :D

That is a beautiful thing....... :brow: :roll: :D

(Its not as bad as it sounds, my son goes with me :) )

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.