• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What crap.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

It's all about marketing. Good marketing does not equal good product. Just because people buy it doesn't mean it good. They perceive it as being good, just like half the crap most people buy in their lives. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have bought some more TRS videos. This time, Bob Taylor "Small Man's Advantage". The ad is rather awful as is to be expected from TRS, but the content of the video is very good.

the deadliest israeli art is the one where they pull out the machine gun and mow down kids who are throwing rocks at them

it's the single best one answer response to someone attacking you

man. the one thing that annoysd me most about those adds are their claims that all other martial arts are inferoir because they take time.

hoestly. it takes time because the more time you spend on it, the better you will be. you'll be faster stronger and have better endurance and stamina if you use a regulair fighting system then if you order a tape and learn in 2 hours.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree strongly with you, Shorinryu Sensei.

As a note (for everyone) on why there are so many ads, it is because magazines actually make extremely little money off of their subscriptions; not nearly enough to sustain the magazine. Around 75% of the money Black Belt Magazine makes will be from their ads. I forget what their rates are, but those tiny adds that there are so many of can easily cost $250 - $500 US, just for the tiny ones that you see around 20 of per page. That's up to $10 000 per page. Think of how many pages are full of adds (more than 50% of the magazine, that's for sure.

I've looked very closely at the magazine industry because I at one point considered starting a magazine of my own. I decided against it because it is 80% marketting to sponsors and those likely to advertise, 10% printing a actual magazine know-how, and 10% subject related content...it's rediculous.

Anyway, that's why there are so many ads, they pay the salaries, not subscriptions. And if they cut down on ads and got a few more subscriptions, the difference would result in them losing a considerable amount of money. Therefore, print martial art magazines will always have just enough actual content to keep it seen as a magazine and not a classified ad. Their goal is to have as many people see as many advertisements as possible. So if that means they have to split the advertisements up by three 1 800-articles every month, then that's what they'll do. If they put out a magazine with only two articles and it does just as well, then they will only use two articles every month and use the newly opened space for advertising - about $30 000+ worth.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

i just grabbed my first issue of black belt magazine the other day with a gift certificate i had, and i have to say the whole thing was more or less awful. it'll make for good kindling when it gets a whee bit colder :wink:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Well, in the UK we don't really get Black Belt Magazine (as its a US magazine) but we do have Combat and Martial Art, both of which are chock-full of scammers trying to sell the latest 'ultimate' fighting system that will only take you an hour to perfect!

I think the best plan is either to not buy the martial arts magazines or, if you like reading the articles (I can't say I do, I think they're usually dreadful) then just try and ignore all the advertising.

You know what martial art works for you and you don't need some dodgy bloke trying to flog you a system that is probably useless anyway.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!