• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The significance of the color white in Japan

SaiFightsMS

In regard to a gi question I thought it would be nice to learn a bit about the significance of colors in Japan. Not race, colors like in colors of the rainbow. So I am in the midst of a search.

First bit:

The Japanese culture is no different then any other culture for giving special meaning or significance to each color. White is for purity, black is for sorrow, green for life, blue for calm coolness, gold for luck and prosperity, red for life as a few examples.

From http://www.animeshon.net/view.cgi?review.cml?!task=display+!number=17+!cat=review+!product=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A short answer to why gi's are white.

The traditional Japanese Karate, Gi, is made from cotton and allows the Martial Artist to move freely with good air circulation around the body. Karate Gi’s are predominantly white, for the purpose of symbolizing purity of mind. In Karate, to be pure in mind is to be empty of extraneous thoughts and be ready to receive new information and learning from the Sensei or Teacher.

http://www.agkk.com.au/enhanced/Uniform.htm

I am sure there are others that have insight on this topic and have more to add.

right, which means white works, i personaly wear white. but if we think about, this symbolism also means that wearing a diffrent color gi could represent something as well. i wish more people would think about the purpose behind chosing there gi, to many people treat it like just another uniform that thell get rid of when its to old or dangy. then again, this may be just me as i take close notice with colors on more than just my gi. for instance, the color of my kumite gear as a special meaning to me (silver) ect. ect.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

My school has white gi for the beginners, red gi for the intermediate, and black gi for the black belt students. However, I live in Canada and train in Canada, and the significance of our gi colour has nothing to do with Japan. The only sorrow our black belts show is the pain they go through in training, but that's a good pain anyway.

We're in North America, not Japan/China/Korea/Thailand/etc. Sometimes it's nice to appreciate where the art came from, but it does not mean that we need to change our culture to do that.

Cheers SaiFightsMS,

Some of that stuff is really intresting. How do u find out so much stuff man. I am allways serprised by what people know,

Peace

PEACE AND LOVE.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

Something I read regarding the belts awhile back:

It was said that at the start of your karate training, you had the white belt to symbolize purity. Then through the ages, and changing of seasons, when spring came around, the flowers blooming, and grass growing would leave a green tinge on the Karateka's belt, then after more years of training , your belt would actually get so dirty, that it would turn Black! I found it interesting ;)

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.