• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Karate an effective self-defence ?

Alexwado-ryu

I'm not sure that I have heard of just 'traditional' karate. I think this wouldn't be possible, as karate has been handed down through different lineages and although some are similar, most are very different. I think it would be impossible to choose one of these styles as traditional. I think a 'traditional' karate school in America would be a school that doesn't claim any particular style, and might be a blend of different styles.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be an impression that Karate is not a close - in fighting style. Can some of you other Goju Ryu guys comment? Our particular style emphasises close range fighting. The katas/applications clearly show the 'nasty' inside stuff. Is it just Goju ryu?

No, it isn't just goju ryu. My style also has a wealth of close quarters techniques and kata applications. We also have the gokui waza, which are prearanged self defences similar to kata. I'm not certain of how many other arts practice these waza, but they also have many close quarters applications.

We also have the gokui waza, which are prearanged self defences similar to kata. I'm not certain of how many other arts practice these waza, but they also have many close quarters applications.

Sounds like our kakiae (sp)! Glad to hear other styles practice close in, I figured they did, I just wasn't hearing about it on the post