• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Karate an effective self-defence ?

Alexwado-ryu

2th kyu after just one year? Interesting. It takes us at least 4-5 years to get to this rank. Maybe in your dojo things are different. About karate being a good self defence thing, I say yes it is. Anyway, we had this conversation a few moths ago in the forums. Perhaps you should dig a little deeper :)

Yeah same here, 2nd Kyu is 4-5 years at the least....Some places are way to damn fast...anyways :roll:

Karate is a good self defense...but learn some from other systems as well...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes karate is a good self defense style if it wasnt it wouldnt be taught in america or anywere. i got a question for ppl who think karate isnt good for a fight why would karate be here right now karate would be gone along time ago if it didnt work. ppl who say it wont work or isnt good BS!

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

yes karate is a good self defense style if it wasnt it wouldnt be taught in america or anywere

There is a TKD Mcdojo on every conrer in the US ..does that mean they are effective for self defense? Popularity is not a good judge of effectivness.

i got a question for ppl who think karate isnt good for a fight why would karate be here right now karate would be gone along time ago if it didnt work. ppl who say it wont work or isnt good BS!

Well not to take anything away from Karate,but movies have done alot to promote it and martial arts in general and keep them going. Many people got into Karate because of movies they saw.

Not enough violence?

Most martial arts are not really designed for fighting. People can do martial arts for other reasons.

Think sll those 60-70 year olds doing Tai chi are in it for the fighting skills? Or is it for the health benefits and relaxation?

Karate is not really all that good for learning to fight. I have been doing it and teaching it for along time and enjoy it, but it is not good for fighting.

I also train and teach MMA style fighting, that is good for fighting amongst other things.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• 1 month later...
My son(11) and I want to start karate, or judo for self-defense( my son wants to also start because he watched the 3 ninjas and the karate kid on the television). As you said, is it useful for close contact? When caompared to judo what are both styles week points and strong points for self-defence.

Karate styles are known as "ryu" and they are usually named, like Shorin-ryu, Shorinji-ryu, Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu, Uechi-ryu, Isshin-ryu and so on. Not all are named a ryu, but kan or kai, like Shotokan Karate or Kyokushinkai Karate. Then of course there are several modern styles that often call themselves "Freestyle Karate" and things like that.