• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Taeguks..HELP!

I have recently changed TKD schools and am having to learn Taeguk patterns (my previous school did Palgwes). From my experience with kata -both palgwe and Heian (from my shotokan days)- most of these forms begin and end in the same spot. My question revolves around the starting and ending point of the first 3 taeguks. When I do them I end up one step behind the start line. So does another student who learned his forms at a different TKD school. The chief instructor does not when he performs them ad lib, however when we break them down stance by stance he does. We have watched each others stances, analyzed the turns, and looked them up in books... we can not figure it out. My question then is this: Do the first three taeguk patterns start and end in the same spot or do they end behind the start line? :-?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They end at the same spot. My guess is that your stances are slightly off when returning to the starting point.

Happens to me too if I think about it too much ;)

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

they don't end in the same spot at all. some may, but definatley not the first three, il e and sahm right?

I was taught that they do. The books I've read back that up as well.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Pro2006, looks like we're in the same boat now! :lol: It appears that some schools teach they do, and some teach they don't. If you measure out each stance so they are all uniformly done..you end up behind the start line, so this leads to the next question. Some texts state that a forward (front) stance is 1.5 times the length of a walking stance, some say it is 2 times. Could the difference be in the ratios between the two stances? What do most practitioners think?

Still confused :P

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We were doing Taeguek 3 today (I have to re-learn it ..... it's a bit different from the way Mr. K taught us) and one of the instructors told me that I was supposed to end in the same spot. Gggrrrr now I'm going to keep trying till I do end in the same spot! LOL

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, New here..first post.

Thought I would comment. I have been here in Korea for 3 years now studying. My original style is Uechi-Ryu but I have developed a 'like' for Korean arts.

THe forms 'should' end where they begin. That's how they were created.

HOWEVER

Most of our bodies are varied in size compared to typically petit/ slender Koreans. While they should end where they begin if your body size doesn't allow it (long legs, etc.) then don't give it a second thought. None whatsoever. Your form is that to protect yourself (sport or not) If you do not feel comfortable trying to always land on that 'X' on the mat then don't worry....

The comformity of the movements will help you learn your stance work etc, linear movements..continued straight lines etc...but to say that you must land there would be absurd. I am a stocky kinda guy..I always land behind where I start while my master the slender one lands on a pin point even at quick speed....

As long as you're not off facing a corner when you finish why would you worry?

Just a ranting opinion