• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

keeping guard

fireka

I find that in kumite, i tend to drop my guard if i have a clear opening, so i may concentrate fully on the punch, this exposes my head, do you have any exersises that could help me get used to keeping that guard up and still executing the strike?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would think that getting bopped in the nose a few times would teach one to keep one's guard up.....

:)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

it would, if someone would bop me in the nose, but in my school strikes to the head are fegined, not completed, so even though i know that in a fight i would have just taken a nasty blow, my subconsious says "i wasnt hit, if it aint broke dont fix it" and in trying to make a solid strike the guard is once again droped. no lesson is learned.

In schools were strikes to the head are forbidden during sparring you have to learn mentally to treat a handpad in front of your face as though it was an actual strike. You have to learn to include the threat in your mindset wether contact was made or not.

wait, i need to correct myself. back hands to the jaw are okay, as are knife hand strikes (why youd want to do one to the head, i dont know, but whatever floats your boat) however punches that go straight in, like jabs and reveres must be feigned, to eaisly do they break bones, and we like to save bone breaking for the IWKA tournament in tenesse this august! :wink:

thats why you need to spar with punches to the head..because they first time you get clocked in the nose you are going to be in a whole new world.

as much as you practice you are still going to be in for a wake up call once you get hit.

just spar with some lower belts - they'll smack you in the face enough times by accident you'll say hmmm maybe i should keep my guard up

I agree. First time I got hit in the head, well, whoa. Ever since then i've been very aware of where my guard is.

Hmmm, to practice keeping your guard up... Without head contact allowed, I would recomend that you drop your whole "zeroing in" thing when they drop their guard. ALWAYS keep some guard up, even in attacking. And try to keep that guard foccused in your upper-body area (face, sternum, etc). And since partial contact to the head is allowed, treat every contact there, accidental or purposfull, as a lost match.

Do not go silently into that good night.

Rage, Rage, Against the dying of the light.

- Dylan Thomas