• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dus any 1 have thier own Dojo/training area?

A_mind_like_water

my and a friend of mine who has recently started my karate club have been transforming his attic into a dojo, has anyone else dun something like this?

if so can you please tell me:

1.is it worth buying a makiwashi board (wot are it's benefits?)

2.how much sit ups should we both do to get a "six-pack"

3. we're both 15, how much set's/rep's of push up's sit-ups and squot's should we do a day to notice improvement but avoid going over the top?

4.any thing else you can suggest? training tips, anything else we'll need, excersises we can do together

thanx

-Scott

Danuall san- "Up you'res OLD man, wax your own DAM cars, im goin out ta get LAID"

-Scott

https://www.worldkarate.net

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I made my loft into a training space for me to use, but its quite small so there's not room for much up there. I've only got some random excercise equipment and a punch bag.

I've heard that wall-mounted makiwaras aren't much good, but I wouldn't know from experience. I think it'd probably be best to make a proper makiwara if you wanted to use one, but I wouldn't advise starting to condition your hands using makiwara while you're only 15.

As for sit-ups and squats, sit-ups wont be very effective if you are overweight. If you aren't overweight, then they will tone up your abs, but I think its the kind of thing that you'll have to experiment with yourself to find out what is the best number to do. Even doing a few sit-ups and squats everyday without fail is better than doing a huge number once in a blue moon.

Edited by CheekyMusician

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I am converting a room into dojo at present- mats and a heavy bag would be the basics I would say.

If you wish to reform, not deform, your hands one method I was given by an accomplished chap was to soak hands in vinegar, then have partner GENTLY swing heavy bag at your held fist and do many reps. Afterwards soak hands in brine- rubbing it in. Over about a year you increase the intensity of the impacts, but stick to about three times a week sessions. Remember to take this incredibly slowly, if at all- I would advise getting a conditioning instructor though.

HTH

Rich

Rich, I haven't forgotten!

Anyway, since I have moved back home, and have access to a basement (!), I have cleared a large area of floor, installed a mirror along one wall, and hung a heavy bag. I also installed a makiwara. I try to get an hour in with the bag and makiwara each day, in addition to practice in the Dojo four nights a week (Monday-Thrusday).

Having just taken an instructor position in the history department of a local community college, the first paycheck is going toward free-weights.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

god i wish i had that much room. there is a spot out in the woods though thats a clear circle, i made this thing thats kinda like a wing chun dummy, dosent apply to my style but it works for some stuff. i posted the budo kanji over its entrance. its cool, like the trees moved out of the way to give me a space to do kata.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

1.is it worth buying a makiwashi board (wot are it's benefits?)

2.how much sit ups should we both do to get a "six-pack"

3. we're both 15, how much set's/rep's of push up's sit-ups and squot's should we do a day to notice improvement but avoid going over the top?

4.any thing else you can suggest? training tips, anything else we'll need, excersises we can do together

thanx

-Scott

1. I found an old phone book and nail it to a tree with 4" nails.

2. I drink six packs and never do the sit ups :lol:

3. It's really very hard to "going over the top." If your resting and eating the rights foods push yourself and see just how far you can go.

4. Work your kata and kihon to have a good understanding of kumite. Kumite will help make kihon and kata real.

PS. Train hard, fight hard and never say the sicking words, "I can't." :kaioken:

Please can I request that no one puts nails into trees that are alive- much better to wrap soft, thick rope around the tree and then you can train all different strikes and kicks.

Cheers, Bob. Sounds like you have a good space. Mine is smaller so I am going to fit holders to the walls for bo , jo, sword and my weight bars.

Free weights are an important addition to your equipment IMO- forgot to mention mine until Bob brought it up.

Fireka- sounds like you have a good place. Being Taoistically inclined I think training outside in nature is great. You might want to try the rope around tree at different heights for striking and conditioning- please take it easy and build up gradually if you aren't doing this already.

I have to disagree Sho-Ju on over training. It's very easy- in fact for some exercising more than twice a week is counter productive. Some can go all day everyday, others are the complete opposite.

For body weight exercises (ie sit ups and squats and push ups) try doing a few less than what you can normally do, then further on in the day do the same again (make sure you dont get anywhere near failure at any time) , then again later in the day repeat. Do for two or three weeks and then see just how many you can actually do before failure of each type. This may suit your body and if so you will be very pleasantly surprised.

LOL! Shu-jo. My beer consumption has gone up a bit too much of late too :)

Regards to all

Rich

My honey and me turned our living room into a training area LOL. We have B.O.B. in there. We have a fairly good open area to do forms, and we have thai pads, shields, and a re-breakable board. Whenever we get in the mood to do a bit of training, we do :) B.O.B. gets beat up pretty good LOL.

Laurie F